Stuck on electrical problem in wire harness

abobber91

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
DOHC

My starter button won't get the solenoid to crank the starter, BUT when i hit the start button, the head light cuts out like its supposed to so I don't think theres an electrical issue at the starter button. It all worked perfectly fine a couple days ago, but after taping up some of the wires and shifting them around Its having these symptoms.

I can jump the solenoid with a screw driver and the bike will start but Im certain that my problem is in the red and blue wires that connect to the solenoid. I replaced the solenoid so there shouldn't be any problems with the wires that are soldered to the solenoid

It has to be the 2 red and blue wires coming out of the wire harness (that connect to the red and blue wires coming out of the solenoid) that have gone bad some how?

I cannot figure out how to fix or find a problem thats within the harness.. Any advice??

when you say taping, not taping together connections are you?

may be best to run a multimeter over each end of the wires to check continuity

Didn't tape any connections together. I mounted the solenoid to the frame with electrical tape. Ive checked and re checked for any lose wires/metals touching the frame.

Is the bike in neutral? Or the clutch lever pulled in? There is also a relay involved, all in the name of safety. The lawyers don't want us to be able to start the bike unless it is safe.

Just for fun, you could also make sure that the kill switch is on and working, but that won't be the problem if you can get it to run when you jump the starter solenoid.

1982, I've tried twice but broke them both times. I put them back together exactly as it was and no longer worked i don't recommend. I bought a new one at a local store for $25

Like drewpy said, check continuity of each wire. I would take the starter button apart and clean all the contacts anyway. I had a similar problem (push button, headlight dims, neutral, clutch in, no start) cleaned my starter button and it magically started. If the controls are original and they haven't been cleaned inside, that's 30+ years of usage and gunk building up inside.

Back