Tall filter screen above petcock

JohnLM

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question . What holds the filter in place above the petcock when you insert it into the tank ? I did'nt remove it - it was already out of the tank when I bought the basket case .

This screen does'nt look old although it probably is , it just falls off the petcock and won't fit tight . The cheapest I have seen them new is $36 .00

I looked at this again and the screen was having a hard time getting pushed in far enough so I helped it along with a flat screwdriver around the pin and it went on . Thanks for the info . Normally I would have taken things apart myself and seen how they come off or out but this basket case did'nt give me that luxury . Thanks again

Last edited:
I just picked up a petcock and screens off of mikes XS. The screens mounted snugly around the tops of each tube. If yours are falling off, I'd wonder about the size fitment or consider alternative means of holding them in place. Also, I think the spares I saw on mikes XS were around 15.

Most of the 400 petcocks or at least all the ones I have seen have a plastic insert and no metal tubes. I still see them for sale from time to time on ebay. But if you have a loose one you can fix it by heating up a screw driver (not red hot just warm enough to softer the plastic) and slowly widen the tube that holds it into place.

Attachments

• DSC02705.jpg
    DSC02705.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02706.jpg
    DSC02706.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC02707.jpg
    DSC02707.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 110
Back