TCI, consensers

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs 400. Intermittent spark issues. I have a TCI under the batt box. I don't see any condensers. Where would they be, and where would th points be (if I even have them). Work manual is very vague. Also, how do I test secondary windings on coils. Thank you, have a great day!

You do not have condensers or points. You have a magnetic pickup. It is under the cover on the left hand side of the engine near the top center of the cylinder. Intermittent spark on this ignition is most likely related to 1) Fouled plugs, 2) bad wires, 3) coil, 4) TCI.

The manuals available for download elsewhere on this site do a much better job of explaining how to test the coil then I ever could.

[ThaQUOTE=jmd_forest;80629]You do not have condensers or points. You have a magnetic pickup. It is under the cover on the left hand side of the engine near the top center of the cylinder. Intermittent spark on this ignition is most likely related to 1) Fouled plugs, 2) bad wires, 3) coil, 4) TCI.

The manuals available for download elsewhere on this site do a much better job of explaining how to test the coil then I ever could.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of your help. Are the manuals in the tech section? Tx again, have a great day!

Back