There's a whistling sound coming from my ignition area!?!

Bramwell

1983 XS400 Maxim
Reaction score
Hi there, My name is Bram. This is my first season riding, and I love it! I have a Yamaha 1983 XS400 Maxim, and it's been running really great, though recently there's been a weird whistling coming from the ignition (or at least in that general area). It worries me so I haven't been riding since the sound has occurred. Any chance someone might know what this is? and is there a way to fix it without paying huge $$ at a shop?
thanks for any help!
cheers,
Bram

check your helmet, mine did that last year, took me ages to find :D

Haha:laugh:, I wish it were my helmut, but unfortunately it's not. I was just in the garage running the bike and it's definitely coming from near the ignition. It's kinda like a whirring sound. ?? Maybe I can make a video of it and post it so you can hear it... yeah, if I can figure out how to do that, I will.
Thanks though, Drewpy! Any other ideas?

Can't help you until you tell us what tune it is playing.:laugh:

My initial take is vacuum leak but since you say it's running fine then it is probably not that. Try taking a small piece of dowling or stick and gently poke and prod around. You may stumble on at least exactly where the sound is coming from. Even if you only change the sound it will at least help you narrow it down. I found a vacuum leak on a four barrell once that way. Since it is in the area of the ignition don't use anything that could conduct electricity just in case.

Back