Throttle cable, help!

Sawyer

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, i picked up an 82 xs400 and i ended up trying to repair it as it had been sitting for 16-18 years (it ran when it was parked). After cleaning the carb and waiting two weeks for new float bowl gaskets i found myself trying to re attach the throttle cable to the carb and couldnt for the life of me figure how to do so. Any help would be GREATLY apreciated, as i couldnt find any info on it on youtube and the manual. Im also a highschool student who has been working at the shop there so i am far far from an actual mechanic. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. First-up, there were single overhead cam and double overhead cam bikes made in '82.
In this case I dont think it matters much but could make a big difference for other parts of the bike.

This photo shows the throttle cable being attached to the lever on the carbs but before the cable tube is seated in the holder.
http://www.xs400.com/media/throttle-body.1406/
Might get you started. Try to download the Haynes manual from the manuals thread. I think it has a different picture and describes the procedure.

Thanks! Ill start looking for the manual, as far as the picture goes i cant really make out what im looking at aside from the carb in the background.

There will be an arm that the cable end attaches to. This arm is what turns/swings upward to open the butterfly valves in the carb. Then you have to pull the cable housing in the other bracket to keep a retention with the throttle assembly.

stolen pic, but you can see the throttle mechanism on the left of the carbs. Some (like mine) versions have the throttle mechanism in the middle of both carbs.
2011-04-11-13.12.23.jpg

In the photos, to simplfy, if the cable is fitted to right hand carb, it's for the DOHC engine, if it's centre mounted, it's for the SOHC engine! The operation of both is the same, it's just the point of operation that is different!

Merlin

Hey Im new to the forum. I have purchased an xs400 I'm new to motorcycles now the last owner of the bike has upgraded the throttle tube, throttle cable, etc. Now I was riding and the cable broke I was looking on the internet but can't find the throttle cable. Only the original, but it won't work because again he upgraded the throttle tube help please!
Resized952018052195130207.jpg

What was upgraded? Pics of what you have now would be helpful. As far as I knew all throttle cables should be the same...…

I swapped out throttles on a build but still used the same set up.

Now I also tried the origuori cable on this throttle to find it doesn't fit and the mechanism it's different.

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_203119.jpg
    IMG_20180602_203119.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 318
In a pinch, you should be able to solder one of the ends back on if that's where it broke. If it broke at the carb, you might be able to use one of those screw stops as well.

Yeah I tried that but since the cable broke it got shorter and now it doesn't fit. I bought the original cable for the bike so I was wondering if I can get it to work by just buying the throttle tube

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180602-235939.png
    Screenshot_20180602-235939.png
    332.5 KB · Views: 204
I think one of the most overlooked sections of XS400.com is the classifieds section. If you need an original part, a known working part, its a must that you check here first. You will get a part that you know fits and chances are you will save some cash.. I buy parts on Ebay too, but you really need to pay attention to the ads and know the part numbers to be sure.. On EBay, you pay EBay prices. Some of the stuff on there is outrageous and some stuff has been up there for years because it wont sell. Some of it isn't even the right part.

If you have a paypal, like you should with EBay, you can easily make purchases on here.

Back