tire recs

bruss

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1979 xs400f
hey guys..
i have a budget of $110 for tires.. what do you guys recommend for the budget minded ? i need both front and rear at that price
thanks

$110 for 2 tires? Does that amount include mounting, balancing, disposal fee's and taxes? :shrug: Or can we spend all $110 on tires? :laugh:

I'm guessing that you have already called around and not found used tires at any local shops, right?

Dave

ok,ok im being cheap :p
not used and im gonna put them on myself..i guess i can fight the wife for more moolah

thanks guys are the shinkos pretty good ?
and am i right to assume i can use 100/90 18 front 110/90 18 rear ?

thanks guys are the shinkos pretty good ?
and am i right to assume i can use 100/90 18 front 110/90 18 rear ?
I think you have a bit of flexibility if you believe the conversion chart below.
So, you could adjust the look or the way it handles a bit, depending on which modern sizes you pick.
According to Bikez the original tires were 3.00-18 and 3.75-18. What's on it now?

thats exactly whats on it now, i think im settled on the shinko tires, im a fairly new rider so im looking for the best stability i can get..id like to order the tires tommorow..do you think those sizes are good or should i go original ?

... im looking for the best stability i can get..id like to order the tires tommorow..do you think those sizes are good or should i go original ?
I'm kind of hoping someone who actually has bought tires (mine just came on the bike) will chime in. As I understand it, tires aren't made in those old "original" sizes any more. It looks like 3, sometimes 4 different substitutes can be made in each case.
To further complicate things, the sohc manual lists a different "original" size than does Bikez.

Based on the manual and the conversion chart only, you could likely use sizes as different as 90/90-18 and 120/80-18 - unless you have the xs400D model. It specifies the same size (3.50-18) for both front and back. But even if you do have the 400D, according to the conversion chart you could still vary the front and back with a combo up to 90/90-18 and 120-80-18.

I really don't know what to advise. :shrug: In the absence of input from others, I might just pick the sizes that are smack in the middle of the available ranges so as to avoid any possibility that you would be pushing the limit of your wheel rims.

Attachments

• sohc tires.JPG
    sohc tires.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 330
lou..thank you very much for the research, i think that as you say.. middle of the ranges is best.. 100/90 18 front and 110/90 18 rear
im gonna pull the trigger and order :)

Back