Title/Registration for my bike

Romeo2589

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I just got my motorcycle over the weekend. The guy is mailing me a bill of sale because he forgot it when we met up. I'm trying to figure out how I get a title for it because the guy didn't get one when I got it. Has anyone else done this? Also I'm trying to figure out if its be easier to register it here in VA or ID. I'm military and I still have my truck registered in ID. Had anyone else done this before and if so how do I go about doing it? I've tried searching but haven't found a direct answer as to what needs to be done. :banghead:

You should get a hold of that dude now and have him write a bill of sale on a napkin or piece of paper. Have a witness too. What did you pay for it?

Google DmV for Virginina and see what they have for requirements.

Did you go to the seller's house?

Some states like Georgia being one of those, will not title a bike that is old like ours. I forget the cut off. It really irritates me because I'd like to have the title even if it is a 1921 model.

Let us know how you turn out. If all else fails, you can have the dmv run the VIN to see it is not a hot bike. If not, then draw a bill of sale and have one of your buddies sign it. You can have your JAG notirize it for extra insurance before you head to the dmv.

Good luck

Getting a title and registration without on the purchase of any vehicle will differ from state to state.Hopefully its worth it for you otherwise unfortunately you have just a parts bike.Sometimes the cost of getting a replacement title will cost more than what the bikes worth.Where I live its relatively easy.Bill of sale notorised along with a dmv check and if it comes back clean they give an application to apply for title.Then you must show proof of insurance also.You might be able to get a salvage title pretty easily but Im not sure in the state you live.Good luck.

So I just got my motorcycle over the weekend. The guy is mailing me a bill of sale because he forgot it when we met up. I'm trying to figure out how I get a title for it because the guy didn't get one when I got it. Has anyone else done this? Also I'm trying to figure out if its be easier to register it here in VA or ID. I'm military and I still have my truck registered in ID. Had anyone else done this before and if so how do I go about doing it? I've tried searching but haven't found a direct answer as to what needs to be done. :banghead:

Shouldn't you have figure that out before giving money to someone? I really hope VA isn't like Florida. If you don't have a title, you can't register it...period.

*Edit*

After some of Google-ing, seems you can consider it an abandoned vehicle and get it re-titled that way. I'd call to make sure.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/AVP/intropage.aspx

Really Charles? No title no registration? It should be that way. Unfortunately, a lot of bikes get forgotten for many years and the title gets trashed. Then when the garage/barn gets cleaned, the bike is found and then there is no title to be found.

I hope the OP gives us an update.

Alright so after some hard research I've found that I have to get a hold of the PO and have them get a replacement title. It's gonna be a long process but I have contacted the guy I traded for the bike and he is willing to help me out. He has to get a hold of the guy he got it from so it's gonna be some work to get it done. As for the money that was spent on the bike all I traded was a 2 year old laptop so once the bike is up and running I will get my money's worth. I did do the research about the abandoned vehicle form and there is a bit more work to be done if I have to go that route. I would still have to see about contacting the last owner the bike was registered to and if I can't I think I can go about getting it titled in my name with the bill of sale from the guy I traded with. Should've done this kind of research before hand but guess I gotta learn the hard way. I jumped the gun cuz I am pumped about doing the project anyways!!!

Yep. I found quite a few bikes with no title here in Florida, so I went ahead and called to make sure. The DMV will not title a bike unless you have a title in hand, with it signed over, and a bill of sale. I asked if they had it on record, would they contact the person listed and see if they'd sign it over. They said they would NOT. So yeah, if you don't know who the title owner is and you don't have the signed over title in hand, you're not getting it registered. This was 2 years ago, so it might have changed...or you could hope to flirt with a clerk and have her give you the name of the owner.
Now, there are some companies that have access to the DMV records and can track down the previous owners...for a fee of course. Not sure why the DMV won't give that info to you, but they refused when I asked.
Good to see that VA is being nice about it. :)

No paper = parts bike. If the Po says it's easy to get a title then ask them to get one then you buy.
Leo

Did a little more research and I'm trying to understand what a special build title is? Would this bike build be considered one of those? Title or no title I still want to do the bike. Will be crappy cuz I couldn't register or legally ride it but I'd like to have the satisfaction of building my first bike. If anyone else has had any rookie issues like I'm having with the title let me know. I'm still trying to get in touch with the PO.

Worst comes to worst it can always be a back road bike or you can part it out.Then hopefully you can buy a bike that has the proper paperwork.

Did a little more research and I'm trying to understand what a special build title is? Would this bike build be considered one of those? Title or no title I still want to do the bike. Will be crappy cuz I couldn't register or legally ride it but I'd like to have the satisfaction of building my first bike. If anyone else has had any rookie issues like I'm having with the title let me know. I'm still trying to get in touch with the PO.

A special build title is usually given when the owner builds a bike from scratch, so to speak. Which means you build the frame on your own or you buy a frame that comes with an MSO from the frame builder. You can't use a frame that has a VIN number on it without a title. Can you find a frame with a title? At least then you can swap everything onto that frame and be legal.

Why waste your time on a bike you can't ride around? Buy a bike with a title and fix that up. I promise that you're gonna get upset when you put time and money into a bike that you can only ride in the woods or dirt roads.

Did you call the DMV? Did they find a title on record and would they contact the owner on record? If they can't contact him/her, I'd assume that means it's abandoned, meaning you can take that route to get a new title for it. As I mentioned before, last resort might be calling a title tracking company.

As others have mentioned check with your DMV. They can tell you if it's possible to get a title.
Also you can find a titled frame, cut the neck out and put it in your frame. This can be done with any titled frame. It doesn't have to be an XS400 frame. Any neck can be welded into your frame.
Finding an xs400 frame with good paper will be easier to work with. Get the frame and swap your good parts to it.
Leo

the guy was able to get ahold of the PO and got the title with bills of sale. only took forever haha. but now its time to start working on getting it running. we'll see how this goes

I have no title from seller, I'm working with a 1982 xs400 Mass bill of sale and a copy of previous owners Maine state reg. will register after some minor TLC. as far as your military dilemma u might wanna check with your insurance co. or base peeps. weather you reg at home or at base. thanks for serving. prior USAF myself.

the guy was able to get ahold of the PO and got the title with bills of sale. only took forever haha. but now its time to start working on getting it running. we'll see how this goes

I am new to the site and have the same problem, I bought an 1981 XS400 last week in Fredericksburg VA with no title (I know stupid) but I am starting the process now to get one.

For anybody in New York State thinking about buying a post-1973 bike with no title; Don't. Craigslist has a jillion old bikes for sale without titles, and every one has the owner saying "just take the bill of sale to the DMV and you can get a new title". Wrong. I spent quite a few hours and a dozen phone calls trying to find a way to get a title for a non-titled bike, and the end result from the DMV in Albany is you can not get a new title without having the last registered title in hand. According to Albany if person A sells a bike to person B with a title, then person B looses the title and sells the bike to person C, for person C to title the bike he has to have person A reapply for a title, give the title to person B, who then pays to get a new title (and pays sales tax) then signs the title over to C, who then pays for a new title in their name (and pays more sales tax). For *every* person in the list of untitled owners Albany expects all of them to pay for a replacement title, pay sales tax on the transfer, and pass it to the next owner; rinse and repeat. Not kidding here. Titles from those title companies in Vermont or Nevada will not be accepted. A special feature is Albany only keeps titles on file for a limited number of years. An original owner I was trying to deal with couldn't get a replacement title for a bike that had been stored for 17 years. If ever there was a state that hated old untitled vehicles, it's New York.

Back