Uni Pods too big?

faze

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got some Uni pod filters recently, and when I went to test fit them, the diameter was much bigger than the H-pipe thing that connects to the carbs. Are these supposed to mount directly to the carbs? Did I somehow get the wrong size, despite following what advice I could find online? Don't you need the H-pipe rubber thingy due to the center piece thing that goes down to the other thing? Do you know what I mean by thing? Hope I am making a little bit of sense.

Thanks.

H pipe thingy: H pipe
Center Piece thing: Breather Tube
Other thing: Crankcase breather

you dont need the h pipe or breather tube, but the hpipe does make the air less turbulent inside (good) and the breather tube vents the crankcase gasses back into the engine (better for the earth and maybe mpg)

you can mount the pods right on the carbs, u say they are Uni pods so they shouldnt have any lip on the inside that would block any passages.

or get smaller diameter pods and put them on the rubber hpipe

or follow Dave's thread and make your own h pipe!

If you mount the pods directly on the carbs, you'll need a filter on the crankcase breather port unless you want to squirt hot oil all over your legs. It might be prudent to get a right-angle pipe like xschris has one his bike and locate the filter under the battery box; the carbs are kind of hard to remove with a filter sticks straight up between them. Ask me how I know.

My guess is that you didn't measure you H-pipe before you ordered the filters:doh: You want a 52mm one if you want to put them on your H-pipe. My guess is you got the 54mm ones. You can do the spark plug boot mod to fit a filter on you breather and put the pods on the carbs.

My guess is that you didn't measure you H-pipe before you ordered the filters:doh: You want a 52mm one if you want to put them on your H-pipe. My guess is you got the 54mm ones. You can do the spark plug boot mod to fit a filter on you breather and put the pods on the carbs.

Yeah, I went ahead and did what everyone else was doing. D'oh!

This spark plug boot mod... tell me more. :D

This is what I did with a mikesxs one.

Attachments

• DSC02248.jpg
    DSC02248.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC02249.jpg
    DSC02249.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC02606.jpg
    DSC02606.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 610
I'll be keeping that in mind as well! I've ordered the same breather filter and was doubtful it would fit between the carbs.

Another thing I have done is to replace the H-pipes center baffle with a open tube to get better flow between the carbs. Seems to work well. I have run about 100 miles with this setup so far and it's running very good. Here are a few pics of it mocked up on my spare carbs.

Attachments

• 0715141218.jpg
    0715141218.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 632
  • 0715141219.jpg
    0715141219.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 412
Faze The filters I got from Mikes XS were listed for my 80 XS but needed a little help in the fit. A couple pieces of 1 3/4" thin wall cut to fit inside the H pipe so I can clamp them securely. Then the filters will clamp to the outside of the H pipe. You might also find some exhaust pipe couplings at the auto parts store with the proper fit to keep your H pipe & filters on their original space. I'm also using some more ridged tube to keep the Crank case vent connected. Be sure though to support all of this weight with some straps to your battery box.

I got the filter from mikesxs about 5 years ago. Not sure if they sell the same ones today. The spark plug cap is a 90 degree cap I had laying around. I think it came from a set of wires I bought for a xs650 I had. :shrug:

Back