Vacuum line disconnected, is this a problem?

bornIIloose

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been riding my bike as much as possible, but noticed that what I believe is the vaccum line coming out of the right carb on my 1981 xs400 is disconnected. See attached picture, is this a problem?

The bike is running fine, starting fine (especially now that it's warmer where i live), etc. But I couldn't find an image of how it attaches to the petcock, assuming I am identifying the part correctly.

Any guidance is appreciated! If I can leave it as is, that's fine by me. I hope to pull the carbs off soon and clean them/rejet. I wasn't sure if this was going to give my issues during that process.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 253
Check the left carb and see if the boot has a line going from it to the petcock. If not, then that line needs to goto it. It could be that the prior owner just left a line on there and plugged the end.

I checked the left side, it is capped. When I looked more closely, the PO literally stuck a twig into the end of the hose...So I guess that is what is effectively plugging that line, but I'm assuming my petcock is just flowing freely at this point, since there's no line hooked up to make it a vacuum?

If the petcock is set to on and fuel flows with no vacuum line to it, then it is not shutting off like it should. The only time fuel flows with no vacuum is on prime. Sounds like the petcock is bad.

You can't find where to connect the vacuum line, and the bike is running well. Is your petcock a stock unit? If not, it may not need a vacuum.

Back