Valves need attention? Indicators?

thielb

maxim
Reaction score
Well things have been going well for a while so it figures that something is seeming wrong again. When I get a bit over idle rpms, i start to hear a faint smacking/ticking noise lagging along with the increasing rpms. I have noticed no decrease in power but I dont think this noise was always present. Maybe it was and my attention to detail has just increased? Doubt it:shrug:. Also, again this could just be me getting more observant of the bike, I think the vibrations are increasing. Not much, just a bit. So this ticking noise coming from the upper end of the engine paired with perhaps extra vibration, I think the valves need attention? I've found plenty in the search about checking valve clearance but I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a rough diagnosis. How do I know when the valves need work? Is it already obvious to you guys that know what you're doing? Just looking for some wisdom on the indicators of shotty valves. Thanks for the help

Valve clearances usually decrease with mileage. So the valves get quieter. If your valve train is real quiet, it is probably well past due to check and adjust them. The shim and bucket system on the DOHC engines is very reliable, but more time consuming to adjust.

If you are hearing more valve noise, I'd guess that your oil is thinning out with heat and/or is breaking down from use. Make the time to check the clearances, just to be sure. An exhaust leak at the head can also sound like a ticking noise, so check for carbon stains around the header pipes.

yup I fully agree with dave on this one :)

nevertheless it's always a good thing to check your valve clearances, I did mine for the first time last week and it was a bit of a puzzle, but with the help of this forum and the manual it was no problem at all. Just take your time to do it, better to be careful than to do a rush job

Thanks for the help guys. I just changed my oil with 20W50 a few weeks back due to all of my highway commuting (around 75 mph for about 400 miles a week just for work) in addition to my aggressive driving habits.. So I sure hope my oil isnt the problem. I'll take a look around the headers too, would sure be nice if that was the only issue. Just talked to a buddy of mine who works at a local shop and it sounds like we'll tackle that together, preferably just to check, not to adjust. Thanks for the explanation Dave and I can only hope that it goes as smoothly for me as it did for you Willem

Back