Vecta's 79 xs restoration

Vectra, you'd be surprised what's inside carbs when you open them up. We found Kreem blocking an intake jet once, that was the whole issue and it was found immediately.

Some suggest boiling in diluted lemon juice, but the real secret is to use acetone, copper braided wire because it crushes before it scratches, and compressed air to blow stuff out of the jets. (Do this into a cotton wad or over a towel. Those jets shoot far away if your fingers slip!)

also yes, the points, and the valves and timing are good to learn to adjust and easy to do.
Lastly, be absolutely sure you're starting with a new, or at least fully amped battery.

Best,

Drewcifer

Found that a few guys didn't know that you adjust the idle on the white knurled knob under the tank between the carbs. You can see it if you look under the tank, and just reach it with a finger to spin it one way or the other. Just an FYI. the screw dials on the side won't change your idle speed.

well the carb bodys are changed over but no pilot jets :doh:
they would not come out of the old carbs to change over ... so they are orderd and should be in this week .
i looked at the timeing and found i did not need to alter it the light lit up on the line on both sides so all was good there
but the bike will run strong with out the pilot jet just got to give it plenty of gas LOL
no idle yet only a few days to wait for the new jets and i get to pull the carb again :shrug: this is getting easy to do now :laugh:

well got the jets in and running around 5k at idle found some cracks in the intake boots :banghead:
they look like its just the surface cracks but when i spray starter fluid on them the revs climb so
what to do????
order new intake boots ?
or give the can of flexseal a try ?
you know the stuff that can make a screen door into a boat :shrug:

:D:D:D well flexseal works for now but i'm putting a order in for some new one's
got the idle down to 1500rpm thinking its still high but i don't know thinking 1200rpm would be normal :shrug:

but i took the old girl out for a spin still need to work on turn signals and a few other things.
damn it feels good to be back on a bike after 16yrs.
front and rear brakes working good now as well no sticking.
pads are in good shape
new fluid in and bled the lines one step at a time
the list is getting short

:bike::bike::bike:

:D well home from work two days in a row and parts waiting on me
Yesterday i had the turnsignals and light switch and Today
Carb Boots think i might have a busy weekend infront of me
and to top the week off

hope to get my new brake and clutch levers in Tomorrow :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20120607_3.jpg
    20120607_3.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 20120607_2.jpg
    20120607_2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 216
I've heard that you can seal the boots by brushing rtv on them inside and out, nice and flat, to seal up the cracks. They need to be conditioned too so the rubber doesn't harden and crack to dust.

no need for that now i have a new set to add this weekend :)
found them on ebay for $40 with shipping so was worth it
but the info might help others who have the same problem :thumbsup:

well the day is going good so farthe to do list today was
1,change out brake and clutch levers and add new adjusting screw .... done
2, add the new switch for the turn signals and hi low beam doing that now .. had to stop for food :)
3, add the new carb boots and clean carbs again as they are off ...
4, see if i can get turn signals working for a change
5, see how she runs with the new boots
busy day for me but its worth every penny

well its been a busy Sunday
brake and clutch handles replaced
new carb boots fitted
turn signal / high low beam switch fitted
turn signals fitted and wired up
carbs cleaned again
mirrors fitted

now the problem
still got the idle problem ticks over good till you hit 5000 rpm then it will stay there
thinking i have something messed up with the carbs and i'm :banghead:

no air leaks that i can tell ... with startor fluid revs did not change when i spray around all the boots and air intake rubbers

would the Carb Slide & Diaphragm Assembly cause this if it not working like it should ?

should there be a gasket on top of the carbs between the diaphram rubber and top of the carb ?

only other problem i have is the turn signals they work just don't flash
ordering a new relay this week to fix this

any help anyone can give on the carb idle trouble think i have hit a brick wall at the moment

remember i have " NEW CARB BOOTS AND NO LEAKS "

Attachments

• 20120610_8.jpg
    20120610_8.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 20120610_7.jpg
    20120610_7.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 20120610_6.jpg
    20120610_6.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 20120610_5.jpg
    20120610_5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 20120610_4.jpg
    20120610_4.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20120610_3.jpg
    20120610_3.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 208
If it only holds up till you reach 5k rpm then I would say its your cable. A lean condition would happen all the time. Make sure you have air filters on the bike it makes a big difference when tuning it. No gaskets in the tops of the carbs just the diaphragms, I use a little grease to help keep them soft and sealed. If you have boiled your carbs you should have removed your butterfly seals at the ends of each shaft if not they could be damaged and causing air leaks.

It could also be one of your jets that are clogged. If I recall correctly, your main jet opens up around 5-6k. If one or both are clogged, you will not be getting enough fuel in to your cylinders at the mid range. Thereby leaning out your mixture.

If it only holds up till you reach 5k rpm then I would say its your cable. A lean condition would happen all the time. Make sure you have air filters on the bike it makes a big difference when tuning it. No gaskets in the tops of the carbs just the diaphragms, I use a little grease to help keep them soft and sealed. If you have boiled your carbs you should have removed your butterfly seals at the ends of each shaft if not they could be damaged and causing air leaks.

give this man a beer :thumbsup:

well it's sunday and i have the day to work on the old girl again
pulled the carbs and strip and clean again :laugh: ( getting good at this step )
put new flasher relay on and i have signals :thumbsup:
new fuse holder added and wired up without the silly inline fuse holders that i had on 2 lines ( gets glock and thinks do i need to go see the prev owners ):D
put carbs back on and damn it still idle at 5000 rpm

remembers what chris said about the cable an hour after throwing my toolbox accross the yard :doh:

oil the cable and changed the adjustment thingy at the throttle guess what it idles at 1200 rpm guess the cable was pulled too tight

running strong now as well.. but i still need to sinc the carbs its running with no popping and spluttering

so whats next i dont know yet LOL i will work this out in the next few days... inspection might be in order so i can make a new list of what to do

oh and duck tape the seat for now till i can get it re done

:bike: happy rideing brothers

Attachments

• 20120617_7.jpg
    20120617_7.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 20120617_8.jpg
    20120617_8.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 20120617_9.jpg
    20120617_9.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20120617_10.jpg
    20120617_10.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20120617_11.jpg
    20120617_11.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
well just been out and fixed the idle it's now at 1200 rpm
getting close still not been for an inspection but i'm in no rush still waiting on my new gloves and stuff to come in
watch this space im uploading a video of the old girl running and let me know if you see anything i might need to do before inspection

ride with the wind my brothers

update

still no inspection yet as work is keeping me from catching them open :(

so i'm starting on the polish

hitting her with 400 grit wet and dry

then to 1000

and final around 2000 then polish

just hope i will have a arm left when i finish :laugh:

well it is done the old girl is on the road got inspection this morning
and passed a few months of working on her has payed off
and we have another 79 xs 400 on the road
now just got to get tags