Video, of a noise by the pickup coil (ignition)

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking for confirmation, that there is nothing wrong. Thanks
Video was done by Cell phone, and was not held consistenly, so don't get sick trying to watch the video. It seems to be sideways most of the trip. I was / am worried about the sound of the engine.

Thanks

I could have striped the audio, but I don't think I can save a MP3 file, or a WAV file.
Tobie:thumbsup:

So be it. Easy enough to do. (I did just get new ones during the rebuild process) As you may remember, one of them knocked out the inspection cover. That one I think turned out to be shot. so I replaced them all.

:bike:

I think so, I have put on 50 miles now. I read the manual, it stated their should be play on the two rockers, so after figuring that out, I set all four them, I kinda wondered If I set it wrong last time, on the wrong cycle.

So right off the start, it started to chirping, My assumption is that it hadn't gotten enough oil over the top of the rockers, or the surfaces haven't had time to become lubricated. then after getting a mile or two on it,

There is a hiccup on the carb that is noticeable. I haven't taken the time to look that one issue up yet. decelerating, and maybe warming up. Bike was cold when I made this video.

It gets real noisy at first when idle with full chock on, takes it up to about 5k. (turn your volume down)

That don't sound right at all. First off when you set the valves set the left piston first then the right. Make sure not to let the crank roll back when you hit tdc or you adjustments will be off. It sounds like something is rubbing in the motor. I would not ride it until you find out what it is.

First off when you set the valves set the left piston first then the right.
Check

Make sure not to let the crank roll back when you hit tdc or you adjustments will be off.
Check, (easy to do if you don't have either spark plug in.)

It sounds like something is rubbing in the motor. I would not ride it until you find out what it is.
Ohhh, that is not good.

I was thinking it was running lean, with all the popping, or chirping, So the rubbing noise, its not associated with the MAC 2:1 muffler, Did you hear the rubbing before, it ran dependably? after the shot of the petcock? while taking off?

I was thinking. It all seem the same levels, once it got warmed up enough to go. I haven't had the estart work reliably since I have it rebuilt, It work that time. I was feathering the throttle after I got it to behave.

Pg 1269, section Valve Adj, #5, There should be a little movement on both rocker arms, if there is not it indicates that the piston is at TDC on the Exhaust stroke.

The rubbing noise was not there in the first video. Maybe it's the starter clutch. Hopefully It's not something else:( If the tdc mark is lined up with the rotor and case mark then the adjustments will be accurate. As for the carb issue, have you synced them ?

Okay, so I looked into it a little bit more tonight. Realized I am running on one cylinder. The Spark tester, (shows a flash of light for every zap) showed spark to that part of the wire. I took the plug out, and it was moist, and when I ran the bike with the spark plug out, on top of the motor, so it would ground, I was shocking. So if there is no bang, is that why its making a whimpering chripping sound?

First vid, short engine running with out the tappet cover on. (13sec)

This next video is just under 2 minutes.

It is quite possible that my carb needs a new jet, the jet that in the fuel bowl is all eat up, I just figured that it just sucks, so as long the orifice is fine, it will be fine? The rest of the brass items were cleaned and a tip cleaner was though each hole. So some of the decelerating popping is the vaporized gas from the left cylinder, getting vaporized in the header. Great.:doh:

Something is not right with that left cylinder. Did you do anything to the valves after the your break down?

Chirp, Chrip.
When I first tested the bike, the rocker pin knocked out the plug, which cause me to look at the book for ways to secure it. Which the book made a diagram with what I thought was missing washers, now I am thinking I might be missing the washer (o-rings) for the other side, based on diagrams from Parts diagram, (boats.net)...

The Pin did come all the way out. Then I was able to fit it back in, buy holding up the rocker device. its either that or the Carb. The plug is getting fuel, and when I pulled the plug out, it was sparking. not enough amps? I have spare coils, and the original TCI.

havent been working bikes as long as some of these other fellows. but i worked in a junk yard fixing cars to sell. a squeak like that usally was someting to tight to dry or crooked. good luck dude

Yep, you have a point, I have a history of not torquing tight enough, and you might have a point, I could have over torque it. But what it?

in the head, Rockers are held in by pins,
Head to cylinder, has almost 20 bolts? two on either side of Ingition pickup.
Cam Chain zone.Noise seems to be on left side, but I suspect the two rocker pins may not have the washer' (orings placed) per parts diagrams.

Seems we have ruled out the carb. I thought it was the carb, cause I would feel a gust of wind on the hiccups/chirps.

When the rain was first hitting it, it seem to make a different noise, then it disappears when you get going.

Back