Volts measured at coils / points

Buccaneer

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

As some may know from other threads, last year I got a 1980 XS400 US Custom (UK model, like Special). This has points ignition on SOHC engine.

It has always been hard to start, and iffy idling. It will often die at the lights ...embarrassing!

After doing all the obvious battery charge, points, timing, valve clearances etc...

Last year I gave it a huge carb clean (boil) and added a fuel filter, which seemed to cure it ... for a day or two, then al the symptoms came back almost as bad as before. Since then I've scoured the web for info, the carbs have been off again for a very thorough second clean. Carb cleaner shoots out of all the right places, orifices have been carefully poked through with a bit of fine brass wire, etc etc. It is really hard to believe there could be any dirt left in the carbs, the second time I knew there was a really insidious problem and was done so carefully and thoroughly... however, one additional symptom is this: idling is much more reliable with the 'choke' (enrichener) on its first stop rather than off, even in warm weather.

Last time I checked the plugs, they looked OK indicating a bit rich (sooty) if anything, but I had been leaving the choke on quite a lot and only shutting it down when on the open road (not very often round here in UK!).

So my thoughts turned to electrics again. Measuring the voltage at the twin bullet connector where the coils plug into the wiring loom, with the engine static I see only around 8.5 Volts even though the battery is freshly charged (doing around 12.5 V under ignition load, 12.8 off load and 14.5 under charge). This voltage at the bullet connector rises to over 13 with the engine running at about 2000 rpm.

OK so I am assuming this 8.5V is because of the current draw of two coils permanently 'on', and V drop due to resistances in the wiring loom. Then when the engine is running, the average current draw here is way down due to the duty cycle of the ignition, so the voltage drop almost disappears... correct?

Question: is that 8.5V ish at coils with engine static normal, or do I have excessive voltage drop in the wiring loom? If it's abnormal, any ideas where to look first? Connectors for Ignition key / Engine Kill switches in the headlight shell?

I tried the obvious thing and ran a thick clip wire around a couple of foot long directly from the battery +ve to the coils. This upped the volts at the coils to within around 0.2V of the battery volts even with engine static, as expected. It seemed to have no positive effect on starting or idling performance, which leads me back to carburation problems again. Drat!! My pilot mixture screws are about 3.5 turns out for best idle (still poor and unpredictable though), so I suppose upping the pilot jet size is next on the list to try? Exhaust is Norton peashooters stuffed with wire wool. Main difference to stock is no balance pipe, is this likely to be a big problem?

Any help will be much appreciated! :banghead:

When you dipped your carbs did you remove the butterfly seal seals? If not there will be destroyed and will cause air leaks. To test your coils you do an ohm test (it's in the manual) volts are to be tested at the battery.

Hi XSChris,

Thanks for the tip and No, I didn't... are those seals available as separate parts or have I possibly knackered my carbs? I assume you meant 'butterfly valve seals' BTW?

I measured the coils themselves and both primary resistances were in spec. The battery voltage (at the battery) is OK too, as mentioned.

The purpose of measuring volts actually at the coil primary was to determine if there could be anything wrong with the wiring... although this is not a conventional test, I don't see why this measurement should not be made! ... Not trying to check the coils, trying to check the loom.

Does anyone know what this voltage normally is with the engine stationary?

Hi Chris, or anyone...

I've had almost a year off the XS400. I bought an XS650 and have had a lot of fun riding that! But now want to finish the 400, which is cosmetically finished already.

OK to recap. So my iffy starting problem on the 400 has seemed to come and go a few times but has never stayed right for more than a day or two. Since my last post I've had the carbs off again, for yet another thorough clean (only boiled once though ... the first time). I'm confident the carbs are clean and that carb cleaner squirts out of all the right places - especially the pilot circuit. No change in anything really, the bike is still VERY difficult to start. The enrichener setting has to be just right (normally 1.5 pips out). Likewise slow running is definitely poor - it tends to die at the lights unless the enrichener is left on.

Pilot mixture screws seem to work best at 3.5 to 4.5 turns out.

Idle is unreliable unless 'helped' by offsetting the throttle sop (knurled nut adjuster on the end of the throttle cable). I'm pretty sure this is wrong and indicates some problem with the pilot circuit.

Mods: all stock, except the exhausts have been changed for Triumph peashooter types, these lack any balance pipe and are probably freer-breathing than the stock pipes. It had the starting problem even worse on its original (stock) exhausts before they were changed, it basically would not start at all or would take 30 mins on the kick! I did try plugging the Peashooters with wire wool, this did not affect the starting or dying problems at all so my gut feeling is it is nothing to do with the exhausts.

As XS Chris pointed out it could be an air leak via the butterfly valve shaft causing lack of suck-through and / or mixture weakness in the Pilot circuit. This does fit the symptoms, but on the other hand I've seen SO many carb boil descriptions that DON'T mention removing those seals, it seems hard to believe that many people who boil, actually do remove the seals first. Anyone out there got any further info on that point?

OK to the point. It seems like checking the butterfly valve seals will be quite tricky, requiring disassembly of the valves before the shaft can be pulled out (probably including destroying the screws), buying new screws for reassembly etc. I was wondering, is it possible to test for the air leak problem by smearing grease / coppaslip etc over the ends of the butterfly shaft where it comes out of the carb bodies (4 areas in total) to stop or at least dramatically reduce how much air can leak in?

If this made any difference to the problem I'd then be happy to rebuild the butterfly assembly properly.

Cheers in advance for any answers.

You can test for air leaks by spraying carb clean or starting fluid around the the carb intake areas. If the rpm's change you have leaks. What do the plugs look like? If you are out that far on the mix screws you need to go up a jet size. Shaft seals on a 30+ year old bike will almost always be bad. After boiling them in cleaner can and will destroy them. Replacing them should be part of a good carb rebuild. It's just one more thing to rule out when looking for a fix. Have you replace the o-rings for the idle mix screws?

Ok, On your volts testing, You need to better understand how points work. Power goes to the coils. through the coils to the points. With the points open power won't flow and when you test voltage on the power side you should get battery voltage. Slightly less on the points side.
How when the points close power flows to ground. Now the power side will read lower because of the current draw of the coil. Somewhere around 3 amps. So the 8.5 volts may be right. On the points side the voltage will be at or near zero volts. With the points closed they are at grounded so voltage will be zero.
With the bike running your meter can't react fast enough to the opening and closing of the points and will only read the highest voltage present, battery voltage.
Leo

Hey, thanks for the fast replies.

Chris ... I spent a few hours today getting the carbs out again, partially disassembling them, packed as much thick grease as I could around all 4 butterfly shaft exits, and put everything back together carefully. Interestingly, this does seem to have made it start better. Now I shall leave it to cool right down and see how it starts after a few days and also go out for a ride to test idling when warm. If the improvement is confirmed then it certainly looks like your tip was the answer (or at least part of the problem anyway :eek:). Time to find out where one gets those screws for the butterfly rebuild. Also, is a special tool required to splay the ends of the threads again? It sure looks like it, as I wouldn't want to start hitting the carb internals with hammer blows, especially when the things are assembled! (Lordy, that would do my soul good though, after over 12 months of this 'stuff'!!!! :laugh:)

Leo, thanks too. I believe I do understand how points ignition works! I'm trying to understand how much V drop there should be in the wiring loom, which of course is best measured with the engine static / points closed, as per my original post. Maybe I just didn't explain my logic fully. I'd already bunged in a new capacitor, measured the coil pri and sec resistances and knew them to be OK, along with the V measured at the battery (12.5 no charging, on IGN load). So if there's an electrical problem, what's left? ... the loom.

When I initially saw 8.5V at the coil primary that seemed really low, I was expecting maybe max of 1V drop in the loom (just from gut feeling, not having done any sums). Yes the coil primary resistances have been checked and are both exactly the same at 3.60 Ohms (cold). This is a bit lower than the value in the Haynes manual (4.0 R each) but seems pretty reasonable, and the fact they are exactly the same leads me to think of a design change or model issue rather than anything wrong with my coils.

So 2.36A per primary, that's almost 4.8A total with engine static, quite a lot, but I'm still a bit surprised at the 4V drop in the loom - that's over 0.8 Ohms total in the loom. It's also almost 20 Watts dissipated in the loom, so something must be getting warm! But maybe with a few crappy connectors and quite a bit of rather thin wire (to fuseholder & back, then to ignition switch, probably several connectors in the headlamp shell & under the seat, etc, etc?), it is normal?

I would still like to know what some other owner measures for V at the coils (both points closed, engine static) purely to know if my loom is good or if there is likely a problem somewhere in it.

Anyway from the point of view of the starting & idling problem(/s), taking a clip lead direct from Bat+ to the primaries (bullet connector) eliminated 90% of that voltage drop and it did not seem to affect starting or running whatsoever , so I am almost 100% sure the problem is carbs rather than spark.

*PS* Chris,

No I haven't replaced the O-rings on the idle mixture screws, but when the carbs have been apart these (and other accessible O-rings e.g. on fuel filter dome) have been carefully inspected with a big magnifying glass, and seem to be perfect.

Yes I agree, the next bigger pilot jet certainly wouldn't hurt! Will do this at same time as butterfly seals. Maybe bung in next size up main jet as well, ... you reckon?

Plug conditions don't look too bad. One side is a nice tan, bit dark of optimum, the other is slightly darker again but not really sooty.... However, had been doing some riding with enrichener on to avoid dying at the lights. Once starting / idling problem is resolved it would clearly be good to do some proper plug tests with engine warmed, fast ride and enrichener off.

Power seems pretty good for a 400, only going a bit flat at full throttle & above 5500rpm, hence I'm pretty sure new exhaust probly requires the larger main jet as well.... (but I have ABSOLUTELY no prior on tuning carbs, so this is only book lore).

Hi

Yesterday I found 8.5v at the coils on the red/white wire (double bullet). I found that strange. I can't see why we wouldn't have 12v (or battery volts) there engine stopped.

So I dismantled the RUN cutoff swith on the handlebar and found it somewhat corroded, cleaned it and got 10.25v at the coils! Getting closer. So 8.5 doesn't seem correct.

The next step is checking the contact and fuse line too and from the contact slot. I started tearing down the headlight but had to stop. I plan on measuring the resistance and see before removing the contact bloc. I measured the red/white wire in the headlight and got 11.25v. So I guess that is before it goes to the fuse and back to the contact, this from memory as I don't have the book in front of me.

As much as I know.
Bob

On the red/white at the coils it should have battery voltage or close to it. The most probable causes are the engine stop switch and key switch. Next in line are the fuses.
The old style round glass fuses were crap when new and age didn't improve them.
The stock fuse holders have metal clips that hold the fuses. These get weak and break. Replace with modern blade fuses. Inline or a fuse black, your choice.
I would start by tracing back from the coils along the line of power to find the problem.
Leo

So following the tests, the contact switch was good and the last fault was a bad conection at the fuse box.

Now I have 11.95v at the coils. That's close enough for me.

Does all this help?

Bob

Sounds much better.
When I do voltage checks, I first check the battery with the key and engine stop switch in the run position. This is the voltage the parts get. Now check at the coil. They should be very close. I like no more than a .2 or .3 drop.
You may still have dirty contacts in the key and engine stop switches as well as any connectors in the wires.
Leo

Back