What did you do with your XS today?

Thinking of picking up a cool little flyscreen for my bike like this one.
$(KGrHqEOKn!E1H6w(QmtBNgO-u54Hg~~_35.JPG

Anyone see any issues i would have with mounting it? To me it looks like it should fit, its an 8" dia opening, and i would drill the screw holes, and might have to shave off a bit if it interferes with the turn signals but other then that it seems like it would work..

Installed a cheap radio shack fuse box. Then found my fuses were too short so went to buy new ones. I didn't want to wait for a better quality box available on line... I think I'll go hot glue all those crimp connections to make them more secure.

Installed a cheap radio shack fuse box. Then found my fuses were too short so went to buy new ones. I didn't want to wait for a better quality box available on line... I think I'll go hot glue all those crimp connections to make them more secure.

hot glue? doesn't hot glue melt when hot?

why not heat shrink wrap?

Lou - I am jealous! and have also heard that if you wear latex gloves under your riding gloves you don't need as many layers because the latex keeps the heat from your hands in and the wind out. I have never tried it but it sounds about right.

Lou - I am jealous! and have also heard that if you wear latex gloves under your riding gloves you don't need as many layers because the latex keeps the heat from your hands in and the wind out. I have never tried it but it sounds about right.
I'll have to try that this afternoon or next week. The problem certainly is the wind.
Perhaps latex gloves over top of my winter leather gloves would work even better. I know that a couple of newspaper delivery bags over top of wool socks keeps the wind that gets through the leather boots from reach the tootsies.

The ideal thing, short of electrified underwear and gloves, would be a pair of handlebar muffs.

They may be less warming with over your gloves, and would look really weird id bet. When they are up against your skin you get the green house effect going on your hands lol

Let us know how this works, it might be a cheap way to turn 2/3 season gloves into 4 season gloves, at least on shorter rides for almost free.

Simply riding around on a nice +4 day would appear to look weird enough - I was the only bike I saw anywhere yesterday. I was thinking of making some handlebar muffs out of a pair of old insulated snow-boarding pants. That would be free too - lol

Don't try to use muffs without something to prevent the muff from pushing back on the levers. The wind and drag from the muffs will easily apply the brakes or make the clutch slip.

I have been using silk glove liners inside snowmobile gloves to keep my hands warm. With the Barkbusters hand guards I have, this is good down to around freezing. There is a noticeable loss of dexterity from the snowmobile gloves, but that is unavoidable. The silk liners do more than one would think to keep the fingers warm and dry. And don't forget your neck! Your neck will loose more heat faster than any other part of your body. I wear a Buff in cool weather, and a micro fleece neck warmer in cold weather. Sometimes both together.

Some general cold weather tips: Wool is your friend, cotton will kill you. Do not wear any cotton in cold weather as it will absorb your perspiration and then conduct your precious body heat away. Wool, silk, and synthetics only! Loose layers trap air, so start with close fitting silk or synthetics against your skin to wick perspiration away. Then a wool layer for trapping air, and synthetic on the outside. Your outer layer must block the wind, and stop any water from entering. Add more layers as required, being sure that each layer is looser than the previous or you will compress the lower layers and loose the ability to trap air.

When riding longer distances in cold weather, I make sure to eat extra carbs for the energy, drink more water, and I do some iso-metric exercises when riding to keep the blood moving.

I like to be comfortable when I ride:) Having to wear arctic clothes to do it is not my idea of fun:laugh: I understand that some people only have a bike to get around and have no choice. I had a friend that had an old dt250 and road the bike all winter long:yikes: I will ride when it gets into the 50's but that's about it, after that it's no fun:wink2: You guys that ride when it's below freezing you can have it as long as it's still fun for you.:bike:

I like to be comfortable when I ride as well. But I don't let the weather make me comfortable, I make myself comfortable for the weather. :) Sure, I have to wear many layers in inclement weather, but I'm riding and enjoying it rather than plodding along in a cage like all the depressed soccer moms...

15 mins until the weekend on the east coast. where plans to work on the bike usually get replaced with lots of couch sitting. watching both american and EPL 'football' and lots of Yuengling and PBR

Just discovered I may not need to go out and buy JIS screwdrivers. The little handy dandy Yamaha tool set that came with my bike has 2 in it. Works like a charm. :D

.. I will ride when it gets into the 50's ... You guys that ride when it's below freezing you can have it ...:bike:
I'm sure with you regarding the freezing mark - I would never do that. I don't even enjoy 40, and wouldn't consider it except on a day in early fall or late spring when the sun had lots of heat.

I've had some lovely rides in the mid 40s though, without arctic clothes, just windproof ones. But I only ride recreationally, never to an appointment and never to something where I'd feel pressured not to turn around and go straight home if conditions dictated.

I'll be bringing the battery inside this aft though - it's going down to 12F/-11C tonight.

I learned how to ride mine in traffic! I'm still learning. I bought a bike last month, got her running and she sounds great...then I figured I might as well learn how to ride the damn thing.

I havent done anything to my bike in a while and probaly wont be.Way definately toocld to do any more riding with temps in the 20`s-30`s*f.Winter is definately here.Kudos to you Lou for hanging in there this long.

Back