What did you do with your XS today?

Hey Lou I wouldnt get yur hopes up for that 50 something * day in mid december this year.According the mws climate prediction center its supposed to be below normal temps for Ontario ,michigan and few other states over the next 8-14 days.Im pretty sure this cold is here to stay.:yikes:

Top tip for a DIY heated jacket - haven't tried it myself yet but I read it works like a charm

so basically what you do is you buy some really cheap stuff at Walmart or something (here in holland at Action, Lidl or Aldi supermarkets):

- a heated car seat cover which plugs into your 12V car power outlet (the lighter plug thing)
- a fleece jacket/vest
- a little bit of thread and some nifty handwork
- another fleece vest (old, or cheap new)
- a 12V car socket to mount onto your bike somewhere

so basically you cut along the stitching from the heated seat cover to take out the part that's heated without the insulation and padding. Be careful not to cut any wires (you can usually see where the heated wires are by looking at the stitching). Now lay out your fleece vest and position the heated part of the seat cover around the back and the mid section - stay a few inches away from the zipper on the front and the arm holes. Now sew it into place with your sewing machine. Cut out a slightly larger piece of fleece from the second vest and cover the heated pad with it, sew that into place as well.

Mount your 12V car power socket somewhere into your wiring harness - you might want to add an extra switch and a fuse into it as well. Think about what the easiest place will be to plug in your jacket - probably somewhere on the front of your tank, near the dash or something.

Benefit of keeping your core warm is that your extremities will stay much warmer as well, your blood will circulate much better.

Top tip for a DIY heated jacket ... your extremities will stay much warmer as well, your blood will circulate much better.
I think I might take a pass on riding in temperatures requiring one of these contraptions, however, after looking at a few sites, including e-Bay, I think one of the 12V cushions with built in massage motors :yikes: might be just the cheeky thing!

I red an article about a local man who ran his Ural year round in about 2006. Not the snowiest winter but it got really cold in Minneapolis. His only issue was road spray and slush. Oh he was riding the 2 wheel drive side car version. If you check some military surplus stores they might have heated flight suits complete with socks boots gloves and head gear.

I think I might take a pass on riding in temperatures requiring one of these contraptions, however, after looking at a few sites, including e-Bay, I think one of the 12V cushions with built in massage motors :yikes: might be just the cheeky thing!
Just remember as you go down the road comfy & cozy in mid winter on your bike. The vibration you feel in your back side might not be your nearly frozen chain trying to follow it's proper track. Before you start diagnosing the shudder TURN OFF THE MASSAGE FEATURE!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::bike:

I started her up, reved the engine a while just make sure it all still works, and it does! I have no heat in the garage and don't fancy spending hours in there doing work in -0C weather... I just need to it running and in shape until i can tear it down again to really fix up that safety relay/lighting problem.

This week the xs goes to the shop for the final wiring of the points, set timing, adjust valves, clutch. Should FINALLY get to ride in a week or so....

classic one step forward, two steps back moment last night in the garage.

the good:
got new drag bars on, installed missing starter button.:D

the bad:
starter button appears to be either too large, or i installed it wrong. It is not pushing in far enough to start bike.:shrug:

the ugly:
because im a noob, because i was rushing, i over tightened the bolt that clamps the clutch lever assebly to the bars and the bolt sheered clean off in the bottom half.(last pic) :banghead::doh::yikes:

going to have to find someone (hopefully a friend or relative) to drill it out since im not comfortable doing it myself

Attachments

• bars1.jpg
    bars1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 241
  • bars2.jpg
    bars2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 272
  • bars3.jpg
    bars3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 243
  • barstripped.jpg
    barstripped.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 269
classic one step forward, two steps back moment last night in the garage.

the good:
got new drag bars on, installed missing starter button.:D

the bad:
starter button appears to be either too large, or i installed it wrong. It is not pushing in far enough to start bike.:shrug:

the ugly:
because im a noob, because i was rushing, i over tightened the bolt that clamps the clutch lever assebly to the bars and the bolt sheered clean off in the bottom half.(last pic) :banghead::doh::yikes:

going to have to find someone (hopefully a friend or relative) to drill it out since im not comfortable doing it myself
If you are lucky you can use a gentle hand Small punch And a tiny hammer to get that broken bolt out. I do it at work all the time. Thing is to grind a nice point on the punch and gently tap the bolt's stump to work it around. Don't hit it hard and don't ding your threads. Tap it out till you can gently grip it with your vise grips and continue turning it out. Remember Slow and gentle. Patience will be your friend.

There is a reversed drill bit you can use. You reverse your electric drill put this bit in the chuck. Center punch the top of the broken bolt and proceed to drill in reverse till it bites the bolt and continues to back the broken stub out. They're nearly fool proof. And if you just turn your clutch lever so it's opposite to where it's supposed to be you can use this from the back side it will work either way.

maybe im over thinking it (or underthinking it :banghead: lol), but if it is in reverse and i do it from the bottom, once it bites on the bolt wont it turn the bolt counter clockwise making the bolt go back towards the top?

maybe im over thinking it (or underthinking it :banghead: lol), but if it is in reverse and i do it from the bottom, once it bites on the bolt wont it turn the bolt counter clockwise making the bolt go back towards the top?
Just to confirm, you are talking about the bolt which clamps the assembly to the bar.
Unlike the rear-view mirror mount, which is threaded backwards on the right side, the clamp bolts are both righty-tighty (from the top).

Therefore, drilling from the bottom, you would want to have the drill bit rotating clockwise (right) in order to back the bolt out the way it went in. From the top it's lefty-loosy.

But if you can and want to thread the bolt all the way through until it falls out the bottom (if it can) just reverse all of the above. . lol . :umm: best of luck

Just picked up the gasket for my LH side crankcase cover to attempt to fix a drip i have coming form back under my stator. I think its a common leak, but hopefully this new gasket will fix it.

I have also scanned the gasket and put up a new thread so you guys can DL the PDF version in case you ever need to make a new one, DIY style.

Back