What did you do with your XS today?

I got in my replacement Rectifier.. BUT

The PO of my bike (for some reason) cut the red wire out of the harness on both sides, and they now connect on their own, rather then just plugging in the harness..

So i think the easiest way to do this would be to remove the red connector from this new harness... but how do i pull it out ? lol I have never done any electrical work here and it obv just doesn't pull back out, is there a trick to these to lock them in place?

Thanks! Hopefully this will get my lights on!

Recreateme, this is a common "fix". I had to do the same thing on my bike this past spring. That red wire carries all the power produced by the alternator and if/when it gets corroded, it will overheat. In my case, it was on the regulator side of the connector. Rather than replace the regulator, I soldered a new connector onto the wire and removed the matching wire from the wiring harness side of the connector. 2 layers of heat shrink tubing were installed to ensure no short circuits, and a liberal coating of di-electric grease to prevent corrosion.

To answer your question of how to remove the terminal from the connector: The terminal has a locking tab than needs to be released. If you look at the side of the connector that mates with the other connector, you will notice a notch above the opening for the terminal. A small (precision or jewelers) flat screw driver can be inserted into this notch and it will depress the locking tab for the terminal. The terminal can then be pulled out of the connector. It may take some patience the first time you try this. But once you do it the first time, you will see how simple it is.

Good luck!

Started replacing bolts with aluminum ones. I also have a bunch of titanium ones coming for bolts that need to be much tighter.

Attachments

• DSC02278.jpg
    DSC02278.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC02279.jpg
    DSC02279.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02280.jpg
    DSC02280.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks Dave..
What happens when the wire overheats? To be clear this is from my rectifier not the regulator.

I was looking at my current rectifier a while a go when i was doing all my Alternator testing and i was seeing, like, black gunk, almost like a gel or a liquid in the heat wrap. Not on the actual connection but where the connection meets the wire, like where it would be crimped /solidered on the red wire.

Perhaps this is preventing full transfer of power to the bike, which might be why I am only getting like 11.9v at my safety relay? Because this connection is bad and dropping power?

My titanium bolts came in. The brake caliper ones where the biggest, also had a few smaller ones.

Attachments

• DSC02281.jpg
    DSC02281.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 247
cleaned mine today for Winter.

looking at new LEDs for the warning system as the triLED is now only a single one :(

I actually thought of mine while I worked on the Snow Blower. Thought about getting it out of the shed into the garage and finally draining the tank so I can take out dents mud it up and repaint it. Guess what? Didn't happen. I blew out the driveway a turn around and back to the LP tank. Then it was down to clean out the pellet stove. Hey if anyone is interested. I have a Multi fuel stove in the lower level and I Love it. It's not the ideal second heat source for a split level home but it sure has reduced the LP usage. It's not so good if you burn Natural gas since Natural gas is so much cheaper than LP. Also Corn burns much cleaner and when it's at or below $5.00/bu it beats wood pellets hands down. Stay warm everyone Winter only lasts a few months. It'll be over before you know it and we can get back to our 2 wheel disease. Some time around July:yikes::woowoo:

Cut a few more tabs off the frame of the 80. I know it's not much but the forum has gone very quiet as of late:(

Attachments

• DSC02282.jpg
    DSC02282.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC02283.jpg
    DSC02283.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02284.jpg
    DSC02284.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 193
In an effort to reduce procrastination, I stripped the exhaust, gas tank, seat, rear fender, and the remains of my airbox off the bike. Then I also removed all the non-required frame tabs. Now I HAVE to find a larger tank, build a seat, build a header and exhaust, find or make a rear fender and battery box, replace the fuse box, clean up the wiring harness, buy the cargo rack I want and build mounts for it, buy the LED tail light bar with progressive turn signals built in, and everything else I have forgotten... And have it all done before the snow melts!

I put on a new inline fuel filter. Again. I hate stalling on the highway.. makes me think horrible thoughts, like buying a different bike

Not sure why but with snow on the ground and -6 degrees out side the inspiration to go for a ride or do any thing out doors just isn't there.
You should always include the "F" otherwise our full-metrical friends will think you are a wuss. . . -6 = -21C. . Brrr.

I'm with you - besides, I doubt if our lame batteries could get an engine with 15W Rotella to even turn over, never mind start! lol :laugh:

I'm so used to non metric measurements. You should see the confusion at work. We get both inch and metric dimensions and tolerances from all our customers. And some of us old farts get really confused. As for riding in winter My bike would probably turn over about 1/2 a turn unless I hit it with the jump unit. Imagine trying to kick it. But I'd be crazy enough to do it with a good set of tires and the proper clothing.

Back