What did you do with your XS today?

I have removed a lot of them without any grinding. You just have to be very careful and use a good well fitting screw driver. If you know someone that could soad blast them, you could do that:shrug:

Chopped my mufflers off the headers, checked the mail, got my exhaust gaskets and carb jets and crap.....went to Mexico restraunt on datenite with wifey, got drunk off a "mexican bomb" and come home looked at bike while smokeing a Marlboro and laughed and said i ain't in no shape to touch any bike tonight! Grabbed another beer and now responding to this post! Got to finish date nite with the wifey before this buzz wears off if you know what i mean!

Power's finally back on after 6 days in the dark.
I've got 2 days to get everything ready and the pick loaded into the truck for Florida!

@Scorpio - if ever we need a meteorological analysis, now is the time! :laugh:

I fitted different warning lamps in the tracker, so its red white and blue LED's flush with the switch plate.
Done away with the oil pressure gauge for now as it kept hitting my knee.

Nailed the carb rejet! 140 Mains, 45 pilots, 3.25 turns out on the scews. New exhaust gaskets and cherry bomb mufflers installed. Looks great, sounds awesome!

Lou was your power out do an ice storm or heavy snow?Over here we stayed just above freezing and fortunately didn't get any ice.The warm up we have right now wont be lasting for long look forward to another blast of cold artic air in the next 2 days.Sucks because I need to get some work don't on my trucks trans mission and I have no warm dry place

Not the best pic, but the best i could do for now.

Attachments

• CAM00052.jpg
    CAM00052.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 218
Lou was your power out do an ice storm or heavy snow? Over here we stayed just above freezing and fortunately didn't get any ice. The warm up we have right now wont be lasting for long look forward to another blast of cold artic air in the next 2 days. Sucks because I need to get some work don't on my trucks trans mission and I have no warm dry place
Thick ice and lots of it.
Nearly every mature tree around here lost several 6" branches.

We were lucky to have a good wood-stove and a nearby creek for toilet flushing water.
And our outage "only" went into day #6 - thousands are into day #8. While they are making great progress and are down from over 300,000 to 16,000 households, each day, as new branches finally crack and fall, new people get to have a taste.

There are two rubber seals on each carb at each end of the butterfly shaft. These must be removed before boiling or soaking in a heavy cleaner. If not they will not seal and you will have air leaks.

Just to complete this thread-within-a-thread: I wasn't up for taking out my butterflies, so I did the cleaning by scrubbing (but not soaking) my carbs in Simple Green, with the help of a toothbrush, Scotchbrite, and plenty of hot water. I sprayed carb cleaner thru the various tiny passages to verify that they are open. My carbs look great now. Except my float bowl gaskets fell apart, so I'm adding that to my list to order from Mike's.

Also I found that Ed Ness does mention those butterfly shaft seals in passing, on p. 48. He says don't soak longer than necessary to protect the seals.

Question on carb cleaning -- do people use anti-seize on the brass jets? Good idea?

No, don't use anything on the brass jets....using it on the carb bowl screws would be the only thing I would put antisieze on, but it's not nessissary.

Sun shining finally here, took the bike for a test run after the rejet and new cherrybomb mufflers. Runs great! Sounds awesome! I feel like I'm neglecting my VTX now. Havn't cranked it since October. Got a NewYears polar bear ride this week, gonna brave it on the XS to show it off to my local riding buds, none of them have seen her yet!

Installed springs over forks on the XS today and test run it....she's happy.....just ordered the Biltwell Keystone handlebars. This bike is shaping up great!

Kept blowing fuses. Traced the problem to my temporary kill switch - it is 20 year old switch that has been banging around the bottom of my tool box. Replaced the switch, problem solved.
the bike is running quite rich at idle, 35 pilot jet and needle on bottom clip, mixture screw out 1.5 turns. Turned the mixture screw in all the way but did not stop engine so might try 25 pilot jets and lower needle a clip.
The 400 top end with stubby reverse cone mufflers sounds heaps better than the 250 with rusty old stock mufflers. Especially in an underground car park. :D

Posted via Mobile

Kept blowing fuses. Traced the problem to my temporary kill switch - it is 20 year old switch that has been banging around the bottom of my tool box. Replaced the switch, problem solved.
the bike is running quite rich at idle, 35 pilot jet and needle on bottom clip, mixture screw out 1.5 turns. Turned the mixture screw in all the way but did not stop engine so might try 25 pilot jets and lower needle a clip.
The 400 top end with stubby reverse cone mufflers sounds heaps better than the 250 with rusty old stock mufflers. Especially in an underground car park. :D

Posted via Mobile

Hey pork chop a couple of Qs, because im sort a tinkering with the same stuff atm.

Does lowering or raising the needle c clip effect the bike only at idle or through out the entire rev range?

How can you tell its only running rich at idle?

Did your shorties pass roadworth in db test?

cheers! :)

Hey pork chop a couple of Qs, because im sort a tinkering with the same stuff atm.

Does lowering or raising the needle c clip effect the bike only at idle or through out the entire rev range?

How can you tell its only running rich at idle?

Did your shorties pass roadworth in db test?

cheers! :)

G'day Greasey,

I am using this website as a guide. http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

I knew it was running rich as I cleaned the sparkies and then kicked it over & let it idle for a while then checked the plugs again. Also, I remember hearing that if you can't cut the engine by screwing the mixture screw all the way in then the pilots are too big.
I haven't rego'd the bike yet but I have a few mods for the mufflers before I get it roadworthy. Repack with 4 stroke packing, stainless steel scourers and sink strainers. :D

Posted via Mobile

Rode mine over 100 miles today. Biggest ride for the 400 since I got her. Everything worked as it should with no problems! Got a lot of complements from my riding buddies.

Thanks for the link pork chop, let me know how you go packing the exhausts. Maybe take a photo/s of your work if you have time? I was thinking of packing mine just to quiet them down a little because I noticed when I was out on it and revving around 8000rpm people were putting theyre fingers in theyre ears on the street :laugh:

Finally got my replacement HID ballast to work. I had one of the relay wires connected wrong. I am amazed at how dumb I can be.... it will be interesting to see how the new 4300 ° bulb compares with he former 6000° bulb. I'll submit some comparison picts after the temp warms up a bit.

Back