What did you do with your XS today?

Rode through a torrential downpour this afternoon, which is what I get for washing my bike yesterday. :( Bike didn't miss a beat, and my jacket, pants and boots kept me dry. I need to treat the inside of my visor again as it was fogging pretty bad. My leather gloves are going to take a while to dry out. "Stop and go" traffic sucks! It was just rain, the cars all had windshield wipers, I don't know what their problem was...

My 400 has been a slow process. I like it like that. I enjoy having a bike just to wrench on. Today I bought a 2000 YZF R1 tail light to mount inside the tail piece in-order to eliminate the rear fender and ugly xs tail light. I'm going cafe racer on this bike. I plan on getting some closed cell memory foam like they use in kayaks and build a seat. Once I have the bike looking good, I'll dig into the carbs and brakes.
It is here I have a couple of questions:
1. Will fiberglass/resin stick to the plastic of these xs400's most particular a 1977?
2. okay maybe it's just that one question.

I used the wrong hardener first time around. Re-did it. The tail light may stick out the back of tail piece a couple of inches. I'll have to glue some posts to mount brackets from tail light to if the fiberglass sticks to the plastic.

Last night I installed a new battery, changed the oil and filter and went through the brake calipers to do the bi-annual traditional cleaning of the rust off the pistons (I'll let you rich guys buy new stainless pistons).

Next stop- reinstallation of the brakes and the resulting chain service and adjustment. Then, I'll be pretty close to just cosmetics.

Last edited:
Removed my back luggage rack and fine-tuned the fit of the black saddle bags. Trying to find the look I like and how easy it is to change things up for different situations.

Rode through a torrential downpour this afternoon, which is what I get for washing my bike yesterday. :( Bike didn't miss a beat, and my jacket, pants and boots kept me dry. I need to treat the inside of my visor again as it was fogging pretty bad. My leather gloves are going to take a while to dry out. "Stop and go" traffic sucks! It was just rain, the cars all had windshield wipers, I don't know what their problem was...

I can recommend getting a Pinlock visor insert installed - it works much better than all the fog prevention stuff and it doesn't cost that much either. One of the best purchases I made so far.

Bike looks awesome by the way, kind of a post apocalyptic mad max thing. What range do you get from that fj600 tank? like 450-500 km? almost can't believe that thing was once a maxim :laugh:

Did some bodywork: Added my rear fender, installed front and back signal lights. Rotated my handle bars so they didn't tap my tank. Tweaked my seat so that it actually fits (tank fitted in the photo, but not finished).

photo3_zps00238c65.jpg

Overall quite happy for owning my first motorcycle and first try at customization!

So since i had the calipers and brackets off, I painted them.

While the calipers and brackets were curing, seemed like a good time to take the wheels off for a cleaning.

Since the wheels were off, seemed like a good time to take the fender off and polish it.

Since the fender was off, seemed like a good time to polish and spruce up the fork.

Since the fork was getting cleaned up in the front, seemed like a good time to clean up the swingarm and all the bits in back that are hard to reach with the wheel on.

Then the front wheel and brakes went back on....next stop, the back.

Last edited:
So since i had the calipers and brackets off, I painted them.

While the calipers and brackets were curing, seemed like a good time to take the wheels off for a cleaning.

Since the wheels were off, seemed like a good time to take the fender off and polish it.

Since the fender was off, seemed like a good time to polish and spruce up the fork.

Since the fork was getting cleaned up in the front, seemed like a good time to clean up the swingarm and all the bits in back that are hard to reach with the wheel on.

Then the front wheel and brakes went back on....next stop, the back.

Seems like the story, of "If you give a mouse a cookie" I suppose I am right there with you on this. Painted a case, now I will get some paint on the tank, get some paint on my hands, I will wet sand... Oh that mouse. Never giving you a cookie again

Did some bodywork: Added my rear fender, installed front and back signal lights. Rotated my handle bars so they didn't tap my tank. Tweaked my seat so that it actually fits (tank fitted in the photo, but not finished).

photo3_zps00238c65.jpg

Overall quite happy for owning my first motorcycle and first try at customization!

Yes coming along real nice!

I got some clear fuel line.

Yup, I have the same problem with my centerstand. When the both tires are near enough to be looking like they are touching the ground, the centerstand is bending too much.

Came within inches of running over a ground hog that darted out in front of me. Scared the Cato out a me.....
I've met and chatted with a number of folks who have survived (intact) encounters with groundhogs, squirrels and raccoons.
Apparently the key is to aim for the centre of mass and accelerate through it - not unlike hitting a 260 yd drive off the first tee :thumbsup:

Back