What did you do with your XS today?

Beauty, Norman.

Me, I synced my carbs (but they sure don't look as good as Norman's).

Off for a ride with valves set, 140 mains and synced. Should run better but it already was good so we'll see if I notice a change.

Had a dissapointing day. Went to do my first oil change, found that the drain plug was bonded very tightly. I ended up doing some serious damage to it all the while it stayed tight. Does anyone know the part number/availability for a new drain plug?

Then I went to install new spark plugs, but one of them started to cross thread. I backed off right away, but that will be something I have to address now as well.

My end goal was to finally create an electrics tray but this is something I realize i have no idea how to do. So hopefully I will have a friend come by to help out...

Overall a somewhat discouraging day full of reverse progress. Hopefully I can get back on track, I have just over a week before I need to vacate my workspace. I either drive it out, or push it out.

jthiessen sorry to read about your bad ,just to let you know I think weve all been there at one time or another.I know I seem to have a lot of those days.
Im not sure but the local auto parts stores may have a metric sparkplug rethreader which should help on your plug misthread.
Boats.net will have the part number for your oil plug bolt.
As for losing your space hopefully something will work out on that.I can relate to that also,I have this nightmare of 1996 Jimmy Ive been workingon and off since 4-11 was renting a garage had tons of space,my goal was to finish the jimmy within 2-3 months @$200 a month.Well needless to say I couldn't afford it any longer the jimmy never got finished within my projected time so it got towed to another place and then another.Im still working on trying to finish the jimmy.Its taken a lot of tenacity and persistence to still have the motivation to try and finish this project.:banghead:
Best of luck to you I hope things turn around for you.

New oil, and filter. Put puddy seal on pinholes in tank, and ordered some Carswell epoxy sealer for the inside.

Adjusted clutch cable, but I think the clutch is done.

Last edited:
Installed a pair of used shorty mufflers and a seat from a metric cruiser.

The mufflers flow well, and are much sorter and lower than the previous mufflers, but they are way too loud. Fun for an afternoon but not for everyday use. I'm going to try to quiet them down. Jetting changes will follow. I needed lower mufflers to allow for the soft bags I'm planning on installing.

The seat is very comfortable! Much better than the seat I'd built, not that this should be a surprise. After a 100km (~62mi) ride I was feeling no different than if I'd been sitting in a comfortable chair. Other than the smile on my face! The seat height is about 89cm (35") without me on the bike. With me on it, I am almost able to get my feet flat on the ground with my 82 cm (32") inseam. Almost. I'm finally in an upright riding position that isn't straining my back or causing my hands to go numb.

The beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon ride followed by a dinner of ribs and Faxe beer (10%!) was a perfect end to the week. Or the perfect start to the next week. :)

Installed a pair of used shorty mufflers and a seat from a metric cruiser.

The mufflers flow well, and are much sorter and lower than the previous mufflers, but they are way too loud. Fun for an afternoon but not for everyday use. I'm going to try to quiet them down. Jetting changes will follow. I needed lower mufflers to allow for the soft bags I'm planning on installing.

The seat is very comfortable! Much better than the seat I'd built, not that this should be a surprise. After a 100km (~62mi) ride I was feeling no different than if I'd been sitting in a comfortable chair. Other than the smile on my face! The seat height is about 89cm (35") without me on the bike. With me on it, I am almost able to get my feet flat on the ground with my 82 cm (32") inseam. Almost. I'm finally in an upright riding position that isn't straining my back or causing my hands to go numb.

The beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon ride followed by a dinner of ribs and Faxe beer (10%!) was a perfect end to the week. Or the perfect start to the next week. :)

Regarding the shorty mufflers are they similar to the emgo brand? Think of putting a different exhaust on my 83 maxim because the one side is a bit banged up unfortunately. I'd like something a bit louder than stock but not ear bleeding obnoxiously loud.

Regarding the shorty mufflers are they similar to the emgo brand? Think of putting a different exhaust on my 83 maxim because the one side is a bit banged up unfortunately. I'd like something a bit louder than stock but not ear bleeding obnoxiously loud.

No, they are not fiberglass filled mufflers. I don't know what brand they are as there is no markings on them. I got them at a salvage yard. Just an oval body with a baffled core and 1.5" outlet. I'm going to try filling the bodies with stainless steel pot scrubbers to see if I can get them quieter without adding too much restriction. It is worth the $4 at the dollar store to try as the mufflers are the right shape for what I need.

Had a dissapointing day. Went to do my first oil change, found that the drain plug was bonded very tightly. I ended up doing some serious damage to it all the while it stayed tight. Does anyone know the part number/availability for a new drain plug?

Then I went to install new spark plugs, but one of them started to cross thread. I backed off right away, but that will be something I have to address now as well.

My end goal was to finally create an electrics tray but this is something I realize i have no idea how to do. So hopefully I will have a friend come by to help out...

Overall a somewhat discouraging day full of reverse progress. Hopefully I can get back on track, I have just over a week before I need to vacate my workspace. I either drive it out, or push it out.

Mike's XS has the drain plug bolt.

If I only had a head. I have misplaced my head. :) Never thought I would say that. I remember bring it home from the powder coating, now that the pistons are on, I need the head to continue my progress.
now I suppose that goes along with "If I only had a brain" from Wizard of OZ! My daughter is jumping at the bit to be dropped off at school, before school, ends from the bike. It is coming together quite well, since I took it apart last summer, when I fried the Cam Chain tension er/guides, and simultaneously took out the valve, and valve inspection cover, as well as the both coils, and probably the rest of the electronics. I might write up a factoid based on my Tensioner, and my thoughts. If I do, I will start that on the LAB first.

I found my head, It was hiding in plain sight.:wtf: I didnt look in the red box marked garbage can liners :banghead:

Still funny enough to share! Hopefully it will be running today or tomorrow, now that I got steam going!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140602_091952_836.jpg
    IMG_20140602_091952_836.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20140602_092031_911.jpg
    IMG_20140602_092031_911.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 229
yesterday:

Ordered Uni Pods to replace the Emgo pods

shaved off the paint under the right side controls and took out the starter button because i suspected it was not in correctly causing the e-start to be unresponsive after my bar swap. (also spent 35 mins looking for the spring behind the button after in flew out...)

everything worked before the bar swap and new button

looks like the button grounds to the left side controls? .... will be sanding the paint on that side tonight, hoping for the best

Yes the right side controls ground to the left one through the bars. Then the left has a ground wire that goes to the rest of the bike.

On this subject. Could one add a ground wire to the empty hole in this pic? This is the right side switch box front half. I will do this when I get to that point so I don't have to sand paint off my new bars.

full

I cheated on mine..

with another yamaha :eek:

my xs400 life is nearing its end :(

soxsat.jpg

They're twins!! :laugh:
2lvhh8p.jpg

the pink is gonna go off tonight, bit too girly for my taste

I cheated on mine.. with another yamaha :eek:

the pink is gonna go off tonight, bit too girly for my taste
Willem, are you sure those pink swatches aren't what attracted you in the first place?

You could, after all, simply embrace your inner girlishness, à la -

Attachments

• Pink Panther.JPG
    Pink Panther.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG-20130723-00541.jpg
    IMG-20130723-00541.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 210
Just took pictures and wrote a Statement of facts for my title. Easy to do here in Mn. 4 pictures front, both sides, and Vin. Along with a statement of how you came to own the bike. Then fork over title and fileing fees along wit appropriate taxes. Got my plate and tab on the spot with the title on it's way in a week or so. Now to continue to repair rebuild fix and customize what ever .:bike:

Back