What did you do with your XS today?

OK...

Got my new Reg/Rec so I cut off the plug it came with and soldered in the plugs off of the original regulator and rectifier. I also figured out a way to mount the Reg/Rec to bottom of the battery box where the old rectifier was. Having figured out the mounting, I painted the battery box with left over caliper paint.

I also got my new exhaust clamps in (Stainless from Cobra) and prepared to re-mount the exhaust by polishing the header pipes and mufflers to a high sheen. I have some nicks in the frame to sand and paint before i do that though.

At this point, just a couple more cosmetic details, then everything can go back together.

I've been thinking about switching to pods but the bikes is running amazing so I don't want to mess with perfection, if you know what I mean.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? My credo!

Attachments

• If it ain't broke, don't fix it.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 217
Took a 600 km ride today and it took me 13 hours with delays and getting lost. My back feels like it's in a million pieces, my wrists feel like jello, and my legs feel like wood. This is normal, right?
Also changed my jets to 140s for a test. Averaged about 59 MPG (which is a win to me) but developed a problem with my idling circuit. Now I have to choose between "Will it idle at a stoplight? VS Will it sit at 3K with no throttle". A jet adjustment is probably in order again

90 mile group ride last night. Of course, mine was the smallest bike (also one of the loudest, right up there with the Harleys) but I had no problem keeping up with everyone. Granted it was a pretty sedate ride on the way out. On the way back though, 3 of us broke off and got into a prairie version of some twisties. Happy to say I didn't get left behind. The bike ran like a top.

Took the 79 out for a ride and stopped at a local farm store for some bits. Just as I stopped a guy with a new victory chopper pulled up blasting his open pipe motor:wtf: A few old timers came over to see the bikes but guess witch one they stopped at to ask questions about:D Yep it was mine:laugh: The other guy gave me a shitty look and walked away:thumbsup:

YEP old timers remember when they had bikes like ours. Vertical twin upright seating general transportation. Functional but mundane Practical not flashy. Part of the reason I don't want to part with mine. Nothing special just good reliable getting around bikes.

Took the 79 out for a ride and stopped at a local farm store for some bits. Just as I stopped a guy with a new victory chopper pulled up blasting his open pipe motor:wtf: A few old timers came over to see the bikes but guess witch one they stopped at to ask questions about:D Yep it was mine:laugh: The other guy gave me a shitty look and walked away:thumbsup:

You can't buy good taste....but you can buy chrome for your just-like-the-next-guy's "custom".

Replaced the rats-nest fuse-holder job I did for testing with a proper sealed fuse box, swapped in a two-prong flasher relay and now have signal lights, and (drumroll please) took it for my first ride! Just up and down the alley, nothing extensive, but it feels good to know that it will actually move under its own power. It's not idling especially well though, so I've got some fiddling to do yet.

I worked on my ignition problem today with 3 sets of both relays I still don't have the estart working.Im starting to think my problem maybe originating in the ignition switch because the circuit to the estart has no power.

Procede with great care here Scorpio.
Make sure you do, or do not have a PMA and, then if you do or don't, that you have the right rectifier/regulator if you have a field coil, or just the rectifier or just the regulator if you don't.
You definitely don't want to rectify if you only need to regulate, otherwise you could knot up you knickers something terrible :yikes: .
And you thought I couldn't speak electri-GEEK, didn't you!

130 mile ride on the 79:) I have to start riding the 80 more and give the other a rest:laugh:

Took it off the rollers and down the street for a little spin. It ran good but was chugging a little when at a low speed in second gear.:shrug: Put it back on the rollers strapped the rear down tight & took the fork apart. Man is that nasty stinky oil in there!!! Cleaned out all the old crud replaced the seals refilled with 4.2 oz of ATF. All while Feeding at least 3 or 4 dozen of Minnesota's finest state birds. Them Skeeters are enough to drive a guy crazy.:banghead: Couldn't take any more so I quickly slipped the legs back in and cleaned up before I lost too much blood. :yikes:

150 mile group ride with 49 other vintage and antique enthusiasts to a private airfield for a tour then on to a members home for an annual BBQ. About 60 bikes in all, parked in the yard.

Bike ran great but was a little small for the big prairie winds we had yesterday.

Used the electrolytic rust removal technique to clean up my fuel tank. Pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:
Back