What did you do with your XS today?

Attachments

• RU-2970.jpg
    RU-2970.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 243
The flange dimension fit the 79xs carbs? awesome find if so!

the dimension are a little off but when you use the things that hold it in place "dont know the english word" it fits.

and about the filter i actually found it on this fantastic site if you search the name of the filter i think you will find a thread, so cant take the credit for that.

also i think you need to rejet with this filter i went for a ride last night and it was like riding a whipt donkey. fine in the low range but when you open it up think around 4000 rpms it dies, any suggestions to avoiding the rejet, i tried to put in a filter to restrict airflow but that didnt help.

best regards.

Last edited:
forgot that i also finished my new seat yesterday so here are some pics..

Attachments

• IMAG0363_opt.jpg
    IMAG0363_opt.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0364_opt.jpg
    IMAG0364_opt.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 241
Rode it to work - and was surprised to find our Charge Nurse rode her XVS650 to work today, too!

Attachments

• 27MAY2012 GMF.jpg
    27MAY2012 GMF.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 234
Realised I had put 3 valve springs on upside down. So I made a ghetto valve spring remover by welding a 19mm wrench onto a g-clamp (the baby was sleeping so couldn't do the usual angle grind a spare socket & weld). anyway, it worked well. Also installed cam sprocket using loctite. My neighbour saw me using a milk crate as a work bench & gave me a folding work-horse - what a champ. Hopefully tonight I will be able to install the engine in the frame - I will try the drop the frame over the engine lying on its side technique. Do you guys have any pointers?

Cheers,

Porkchop

Posted via Mobile

tried sorting my harness...I hate hacks!!...but its coming along with the help of a vintage bike guru buddy of mine...I'd be screwed without him!....and you guys of course.

Removed clutch and inspected friction plates/clutch plates...looked fine,,reassembled and then changed oil/filter again..I realized (read on here..lol) that my kickstarter issue of not turning the engine over was merely an oil/clutch adujstment issue and a complete disassemble wasnt necessary at all...lol:wtf:

Realised I had put 3 valve springs on upside down. So I made a ghetto valve spring remover by welding a 19mm wrench onto a g-clamp (the baby was sleeping so couldn't do the usual angle grind a spare socket & weld). anyway, it worked well. Also installed cam sprocket using loctite. My neighbour saw me using a milk crate as a work bench & gave me a folding work-horse - what a champ. Hopefully tonight I will be able to install the engine in the frame - I will try the drop the frame over the engine lying on its side technique. Do you guys have any pointers?

Cheers,

Porkchop

Posted via Mobile

use blankets and 15mm pipe insulation to protect the frame paint.
engine's always exit and enter on the right side of the frame

Rode by the small fallen warrior memorial in Northwood by my house.I read this letter that was posted and the innocence of it choked me up. God Bless them all
full

I finished with a little buzz up to "Cooks Corner" through the Santiago Canyon,clipping @ about 65-75 MPH the whole way. Lots of "Lightning in a Bottle" concert traffic (kind of a rave/camping drum and bass/dubstep/electric music concert held up there this weekend and ended this morning.
Beautiful sunny weather and bikes running like a champ! Might have pushed her little hard. Maybe do a oil/filter change soon.

Today I installed an in-line fuel filter thanks to Petei's thread. It might be too hot & humid to ride in full gear today, but I will at least start it up to make sure that gas still flows. Bought a length of gas line for 87 cents in case I need to go back.

Hey I'd like to know where you ordered the sprocket from? And how was the service? Thanks!
Ordered it from the local MC accessory store - not a chain, just a local one-off. He found the part number I gave him on his computer listing from one of his suppliers. It was not listed in any of his phone-book-like parts catalogues. He ordered it Sunday PM, it came in on Thurs and he was apologetic about the delay as usually that outfit ships to him 2nd day.
I was pleased. It was $23 plus tax. Saw it on a few on-line stores for a lower list price but unless I could order half a bike in other parts, it would have been more in total than helping the local guy stay in business.

Back