What did you do with your XS today?

Rebuilt the petcock on my 79 today. First time I have done this in the 15 years I have owned it. It was starting to weep a little from the diaphragm and already had the rebuild kit for four years so I figured it was about time:laugh:

This is on my to-do list, too. Originally it only did this while it was on prime, but not on the "ON" position. There's no leaking while the bike is running, but now when it's shut off it starts to drip a bit. No good.

I'm guessing I'll need to order a rebuild kit too (although the rebuild kit is nearly as much as a new non-vacuum petcock!). Any sense in just opening it up and cleaning it first to see if that solves it?

Drilled and tapped two exhaust studs for helicoils. Installed the coils. Time to put the engine back together!
I'm guessing I'll need to order a rebuild kit too (although the rebuild kit is nearly as much as a new non-vacuum petcock!). Any sense in just opening it up and cleaning it first to see if that solves it?
I did the same to mine a few weeks ago. It took a very thorough cleaning even with the rebuild kit to eliminate all leaks.
A cone shaped dremel buffing bit did a great job on the interior o-ring mating surface.

If the gaskets and diaphragm are good you may not need the kit. You'll be doing the cleaning either way.

It was with my 650 and wasn't today (Friday PM), but I had a crash.
Broke 3 ribs (on me) and a couple of turn signals, foot-peg and a large SlipStream windshield. The latter took most of the hit and I am told the damage elsewhere is not bad.
When I am more mobile, I will check it out and maybe report to y'all .... if it's not too embarrassing :wink2:.

Large quantity of unexpected sand an gravel on a sharp corner with reverse camber and a tightening turning radius. Luckily the corner is well known to me and I was going the safe speed for bare pavement. I remember realizing I couldn't turn on the aggregate, opting for a straight run into the shallow ditch and fen beyond - then :wtf: seeing the big brown boulder on the other side of the ditch, directly in the new path.
When I attempted a slight course correction I felt the rear go left and I went down right. Very unpleasant but better than a direct hit on the boulder. Live and learn.
Hey Lou Sorry to hear your in some pain. Cracked or broken ribs are Not pleasant but sure glad that's the worst of your injuries. The damage to your pride is superficial. For now take a shallow breath (deep ones hurt) and swallow your pride. Get ready for your next project. Operation 650.

Sunday I took the 400 out for a real ride. (Ok 15 mi run to town & back) Got about 3 miles out & found it wanted to hang at 3000 Rpm. Guess I REALLY DO have to Sync & Adjust these carbs. Finished my abbreviated ride and it ran great. Hit 55 - 65 mph ran good & smooth even with these old tires.

Sanding gas tank and filling in minor dents and scratches.

Attachments

• 20140720_214534.jpg
    20140720_214534.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 260
Originally Posted by Lou Ranger View Post
It was with my 650 and wasn't today (Friday PM), but I had a crash.
Broke 3 ribs (on me) and a couple of turn signals, foot-peg and a large SlipStream windshield. The latter took most of the hit and I am told the damage elsewhere is not bad.
When I am more mobile, I will check it out and maybe report to y'all .... if it's not too embarrassing .
Ya Lou, heal up fast! Wishing you speedy recovery! Tobie

After my little valvetrain adventure this weekend I discovered oil leaking from the head after I rode to work yesterday, so today I pulled the valve cover again and realized that the cam seal was out of alignment. Reset it and put some RTF on the sealing surfaces for good measure.
She seems to be running well aside from some jerkiness at very low speeds; I went up a jet size on the pilots and the mains when I put pod filters on but ended up going back down to stock jets because it was very rich. I left the oversized pilots in because I destroyed the stock ones getting them out; I'm guessing that's why it's surging a bit.

I think I might first try adjusting the air mixture screws. Currently at 3 turns out, thinking of trying another turn out?

And there is the problem! The Pilot Screws you are referring to are NOT air mixture screws like found on other carbs. They control fuel (with some air for better atomization). Your plugs are looking very rich, so try turning the screws IN a turn to lean out the idle and part throttle.

We've had three motorcyclists die in the last month in my town, one a client of my shops, another a friend... Shits scary. I hear ribs are the worst but better hurt than dead. I hope you recover well man.

Meanwhile im at a loss with tuning... It's my second time in a month fouling out plugs today, and it appears my case sprung an awefully unnecessary oil leak. I tried an oil stop leak, and grabbed better plugs. If that doesn't do it I'll be removing the baffle from my exhaust, cutting a crown shape into the tip of my megaphone, and just having the carb tuned from my buddy at a local shop.if I get the tip of my exhaust all cut up and fancified this weekend I'll put some pictures up.

We've had three motorcyclists die in the last month in my town, one a client of my shops, another a friend... Shits scary. I hear ribs are the worst but better hurt than dead. I hope you recover well man.

Meanwhile im at a loss with tuning... It's my second time in a month fouling out plugs today, and it appears my case sprung an awefully unnecessary oil leak. I tried an oil stop leak, and grabbed better plugs. If that doesn't do it I'll be removing the baffle from my exhaust, cutting a crown shape into the tip of my megaphone, and just having the carb tuned from my buddy at a local shop.if I get the tip of my exhaust all cut up and fancified this weekend I'll put some pictures up.

I would not put any automotive oil stop leak in a bike. It can mess up the clutch and maybe some of the small oil delivery passages.

:DI was hoping maybe a cushion for your seat.:bike:

Perhaps now is a good time to replace the oil filter. Those exhaust headers make it look impossible to do with them on.

Spent the afternoon planning and building racks for panniers (saddlebags). Got the loops made and have started on the mounts. Hope to have it done for Thursday afternoon, or Friday morning at the latest, so I can avoid wearing a backpack when I ride to the cottage for a long weekend of relaxing.

Back