What did you do with your XS today?

Changed the oil, pulled the plugs and found out I was running too lean, my plugs were pretty white and burnt up. I got some hotter running plugs in now.

Pulled the carb and found 3 screws were seized on the top... Which is bewildering because I have opened this carb up fully at least 14 times this year lol so I Dicked with that until I got them to break free, and then made some enrichening adjustments with my needle. I'm close... I can feel it. Well find out tomorrow when I can pick up some hardened steel Allen heads to rebuild the carb with, throw it back together and start 'er back up. After I install my fancy new clear view fuel filter.

Also had a chance to finish out the rear section of my frame, so I'm no longer just running a cut in half motorcycle =P Now I need to powder coat the frame to match my bars. It feels good to be getting all these things done. I got a new tire too, I'll have to get some good pictures posted as soon as I finish the whole rear end up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 222
Took a run to my friend's place to hang out and came back the long way, my first substantial night ride. Discovered that my high beams really, really work.

Done installing my new tires-- Bridgestone Spitfie S11's. Bought them at http://4wheelonline.com. Then, took my bike for a short ride to test these tires. So far, I like the smooth handling and road grip. In my opinion, it is a good tire that does everything I need it to.

Got the racks for my panniers mostly completed and installed. Still have to do some tidying up and paint them. I may install a couple more mounting brackets just to be sure they are solid and don't vibrate or bounce around.

Pics here with the panniers installed.

I finally got the carb tuned up perfectly!!! With a lot of toying around with the grinder I got the last few seized bolts off the diaphram on top and replaced everything to Allen head. My goal was to raise the needle another position, but it appears I was already at the highest possible position, so I played around with the washers and the plastic spacer until I found a combination that raised the needle just a slight bit more and bingo! No more riding on half choke!

Then I went for a cruise across the river and hopped the state line into Iowa and hit one of the local lakes, found a pretty cool little inlet to make some tuning for the ride back. So excited it's running well now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 234
@Lou, sorry to hear about the crash! Get well soon

Dave, the bike is looking really impressive! Totally transformed really, I'm liking it a lot

Well Friday I took it out for a spin. It ran good but I could feel some lurching when I'd take off. Felt like lugging but different. I rode it for about 15 miles and the lurching didn't get any better. I got home put it up on the cart to get a closer look and I saw that the chain was pulling away from the rear sprocket for some reason:yikes:. Since I had a new front sprocket I took the cover off to replace it. My front sprocket looks more like a washer than a sprocket. The chain is worn and the rear sprocket is looking more like a Skill saw blade? Guess what I'll be doing??? I have a 17T front sprocket right now the rear is a 37T what should I put on the rear? I'm not looking for out of the hole grunt just to lower the rpm at speed. And any one have a good line on chains?

On Friday, I loaded up my bags and hit the road. 5 hrs and 375 km later I arrived at the cottage. Traffic was ugly in a number of spots but that wasn't a surprise as this is a holiday weekend here. Had a nice phone call with Lou Ranger while passing through his neighbourhood (he is recuperating well at his cottage, so I didn't get to stop in and visit). A couple thunder storms added to the ride, but all in all it was a good ride. The bike performed flawlessly and returned great fuel economy of 4.47 l/100 km (52.6 US MPG).

I'm looking forward to the ride home on Tuesday!

Always replace both sprockets at the same time. A 16-37 or 17-39 (same ratio) is a good combo with an 18" stock tire. I run 5k rpm's at 60mph with it. Don't get an o-ring chain. It is too wide and will rub on the case. You can find standard 530 chains all over the net for cheap.

I would definitely advise you NOT to buy a chain made in China like the one I had on when I had my chain break (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10273)
The really good D.I.D. 50 chain, made in Japan, was very cheap and I bought it at a Yamaha dealer.

If you really want to reduce your rpms, you might be able to go down on the rear to a 35 like on the Maxim. I would definitely stay with 17T on the front.
17/35 works fine with the Maxim 5 spd tranny and its 16" (130/90) wheel/tire - but I can't say how it would be on a sohc with 18" wheel and 6 spds, because, if the 6th gear already lowers the rpm below the Maxim standard set-up, then it might be risky for you to lower the count on the rear. Even with 17/35, the Maxim's rpm does not go as low as what Chris is saying (just over 5500)

Last edited:
I've been checking out chains and rear sprockets on line. So far here's a seemingly good chain to be had for under 40.00 but they didn't have the sprocket. I'm thinking about going to a 35T rear along with the 17T front. But I haven't bought anything yet. Also with the inordinate amount of gunge or "chain fudge" I might have a worn pushrod seal. It's frustrating that the bike runs pretty good and reliably but I can't ride it over some more maintenance issues from the PO:shrug:.Sometimes I'd like to just sell the thing and put money down on a new SR400!!:yikes: What'd ya think???:bike:

I bought the 17T from a local bike shop and the chain from a Yamaha dealer. Cost might have been slightly higher, but both had a free return policy.
In the case of the chain, particularly, I didn't have to wait for shipping just took it home.

And I enjoyed talking to the guys over the counter. I never enjoy either the transaction when ordering on line - or the subsequent waiting days for a delivery.

I can second the quality of DID chains. Not only do you not have to worry about it breaking, it also went the first 10k km on my xs with just one minor slack adjustment.

Sanded, sprayed a few more coats of primer.
Had a couple rattle cans made up in metallic teal at the paint shop on Friday. Bought some 2k clear coat too. Just waiting on new side covers to arrive and everything will get painted together.

Also broke off the JB Weld fix I'd done on the chain guard. PO broke the rear mount. My quick JB Weld fix didn't go on straight. Will try again, or maybe have it welded when I figure out the correct angle.
Not much clearance between the rear sprocket and the shocks.

Been riding every day I can, commuting to work and tooling around the city for fun after hours. It was a long weekend here so yesterday I went for a long ride up the one decent riding road in this town, and found the powerband properly for the first time. My instinct driving anything is to shift early and run at lower RPMs, so I've been doing a steady 6k in third whilst cruising anywhere. Found out what fun can be had with a little more throttle just there. I realize this probably isn't news to anyone but it was relevatory for me. Big grin moment, yeah?

Today I had a nice ride to work; just cool enough for comfort and a minimum of red lights along the way.

Originally Posted by Lou Ranger View Post

It was with my 650 and wasn't today (Friday PM), but I had a crash.
Broke 3 ribs (on me) and a couple of turn signals, foot-peg and a large SlipStream windshield. The latter took most of the hit and I am told the damage elsewhere is not bad.
When I am more mobile, I will check it out and maybe report to y'all .... if it's not too embarrassing .

Large quantity of unexpected sand an gravel on a sharp corner with reverse camber and a tightening turning radius. Luckily the corner is well known to me and I was going the safe speed for bare pavement. I remember realizing I couldn't turn on the aggregate, opting for a straight run into the shallow ditch and fen beyond - then seeing the big brown boulder on the other side of the ditch, directly in the new path.
When I attempted a slight course correction I felt the rear go left and I went down right. Very unpleasant but better than a direct hit on the boulder. Live and learn.

I didn't see this till recently so sorry to find out about this heal up soon brother.:thumbsup:

Just ordered a rear sprocket & chain to replace that stretched poorly maintained chain & saw blade on my bike. From Dennis Kirk here in Mn. Nearly $80.00 just short of their free shipping amount:banghead:. But they say it'll hit my place tomorrow:thumbsup:. Great turn around & if I didn't have to work extra hours I'd be back enjoying the ride by this weekend :shrug:. Oh well guess there's always next weekend:bike:.

Is that where the power band is? I've gone above 6k probably enough times to count on one hand. Usually I'm cruising between 4 and 5k in any gear.

I did some shopping for my upcoming rewire at the end of the season. Got me a blade fuseblock and a new headlight relay (because mine is literally falling apart). A friend of mine works at a marina nearby, so she's been sourcing a lot of my parts and getting them to me at cost. Friendship is a wonderful thing :D

Wishing you a speedy recovery Lou!

Back