What did you do with your XS today?

Put new heavy duty clutch springs in the 82. The pads and plates where in great shape so I just cleaned them and reused.

Well took my XS400/Sidecar for it's first short test run, about one mile round trip. It started with just a few kick and seemed to run pretty good, there was a little popping in the carbs when backing off. Then as I slowed down to pull in the driveway it stalled. Tried kicking it over and it would not start. Pushed into the garage and hooked up a spark plug to the right wire and kicked over and it seemed to have OK spark. To be sure it had enough fuel filled till gas was over the center hump. Kicked some more not a sign of firing. Pulled the drain plug out of the left carb and good flow of fuel. There is an inline fuel filter in the line from the tank. Pushed down driveway and tried to bump start in second gear, did this twice, and it seemed to fire some but not enough to take off running.

I was hot and tired so decided enough for today.

Might try pulling air filters and shoot some car cleaner in there and see if that will get it to fire. Did pull one plug and it was dry so don't think it was flooding while trying to start. If the carb cleaner does get it to fire up I'm going to spray some around the boots to the head, they looked good when I had the carbs off, nice a flexible and no obvious cracks.

EDIT:

Was doing some reading on carb problems and saw reference to "Butterfly seals" are there seals around the shafts for the butterflies in these carbs? When I cleaned the carbs I did not remove the shafts, I assume the shafts have to come out to replace the seals.

Despite this set back can say that it seemed to pull the sidecar pretty good, saw an easy indicated 60 mph on the level road.

Just need to get this thing to start as easy as the old XS650 I rode for several years, one or two kicks 90% of the time in all kinds of weather

Last edited:
guess I have some more carb work to do. Had a couple minutes free time so thought I'd give it a quick try to start. Kicked over a part of a turn then locked up. Removed plugs and just as I thought large amount of gas in cylinders. Reinstalled the plugs and gave a couple kicks but no fire, probably still flooded. I did make the mistake and left the fuel valve on "PRIME".

Will have to wait till a rainy day as if it's nice tomorrow would rather go for a ride with my wife. It's nice to have more than one bike to ride!:bike:

I got something Ive been wanting to compliment my bike for a while,a set of new grips.

Attachments

• GRIPS.jpg
    GRIPS.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 250
Left the petcock on prime, carbs need cleaning, gas leaked out and into engine. Oil smells like gas. Time to change the oil, filter and clean the carbs.

Are you talking about my problem or did you have the same thing happen to your bike?

Just now I am thinking that I might remove the sidecar for now till I get the bike running right to make working on it a little easier. The short ride I took let me see that the bike seems to be fine pulling the sidecar, no crazy wobbles or other major problems. But it looks nice and sunny out so I'm not going to be doing too much garage time today!

Thanks stormtroopin.I seen another set that was the same color blue with like wire mess but the only came in a 1"I`ll be putting them on today.I also post a new pic of my bike.

Are you talking about my problem or did you have the same thing happen to your bike?

Just now I am thinking that I might remove the sidecar for now till I get the bike running right to make working on it a little easier. The short ride I took let me see that the bike seems to be fine pulling the sidecar, no crazy wobbles or other major problems. But it looks nice and sunny out so I'm not going to be doing too much garage time today!

Same problem. Going to get new needles and seats for mine.

Been ignoring the bike the past few weeks. Poor little thing sitting there lonely leaning against the garage wall. Took the car out & a few other things Pulled the lonely little bike out of it's little corner of the garage. Turned the key hit the button & woo hoo Barely turned over when it lit up. Almost thought I saw a smile on it's tank. took it for a little spin down the road. Then I saw a big doe walk across the street and into the woods. Then what looked like the neighbors Golden following her but it was a little doe in tow. She walked a bit wobbly & stood there watching me coast up. Beautiful!!!! Now I know why we moved up here!!!

Hi all! Today I bought an extra small helmet for my kids to ride with me and a large fo my sweetie( gonna take some convincing to get her on I think. Took my 6yo around some back roads. Trying to trouble shoot a problem with this bike. I haven't had it long. I have only put about 100 miles on it in 6 months. Anyway, the day was nice and the kiddo loved it. Happy Summer Everyone! Get out and ride!

Been ignoring the bike the past few weeks. Poor little thing sitting there lonely leaning against the garage wall. Took the car out & a few other things Pulled the lonely little bike out of it's little corner of the garage. Turned the key hit the button & woo hoo Barely turned over when it lit up. Almost thought I saw a smile on it's tank. took it for a little spin down the road. Then I saw a big doe walk across the street and into the woods. Then what looked like the neighbors Golden following her but it was a little doe in tow. She walked a bit wobbly & stood there watching me coast up. Beautiful!!!! Now I know why we moved up here!!!

Awesome isn't it? This pic was from my driveway last week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434968558.894460.jpg

Good afternoon forum! Well I have figured out how to remove my seat on my 1983 Maxim did another post in the garage section of the forum about that already if you are interested in it I even have a video link and a picture.

Well I had the lever on my kickstand break off :doh:. It looked like it happened before and someone tried to fix it , but did a poor job :banghead:. It had rust under where it broke so was just a matter of time. Just glad it happened in the garage and not on the road. I am not a welder nor do I have any welding tools. So I hopped on ebay and bought another for like $8.00 USD. But in the mean time I drilled a hole into the kickstand took a carriage bolt and ran it through the kickstand. I have a washer on each side and then double nutted it with lock tight. I bent the bolt just a bit to get the angle I needed. I even put two nuts at the top of the bolt to get a little more surface to grab the kickstand. Just a temp fix until my new/used one shows up end of the week.

Attachments

• edit 1.jpg
    edit 1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 257
  • edit 2.jpg
    edit 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 241
  • edit 3.jpg
    edit 3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 248
mATkoy6.jpg

Joined the trendy-and-useless crew last night and finished my exhaust install. Everything's snug and solid. The muffler's a bit low but I don't predict many 75-degree leans on this bike.

Back