What did you do with your XS today?

About 60 degrees F here today with the sun shining. Fixed up my mirrors and rode my bike to do some errands. First real ride with this bike. Spent the last week or so doing carbs etc. etc. etc.
Just great.
Sandy

Sounds like a challenge. I am willing to join a club if one is formed.
How about starting a new thread: "What's NOT perfect about my xs400" ? :shrug:
But "CARBS" don't count - if we allowed that, it would hardly be an exclusive club.

not as daft as it sounds as peeps may be able to offer alternatives.

Carbs are def banned from it and no general repair advice either as it would just be another common thread :)

not as daft as it sounds ... :)
It didn't sound daft at the time ....
cry-blow.gif

Got gas and Rotella oil,filled the crank case to proper level,bought an inline fuel filter and mre fuel line.Also got my crank case filter.Going to try and install the parts tomorrow and see if the bike will fireup after I get finished running my errands.

After months of no work on the bike I got back into the build. . Rats had made a nest in my bike part cupboard. They had been feasting on snail poison and chewing every thing paper and plastic and basically stinking the place out. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning out their shit but all good now. All the bolts and parts that I wirewheeled and sprayed with inox have a nice coat of surface rust - damn it. I installed the foot pegs with new rubbers and trial fit the exhaust and reverse cone stubby mufflers.

It's good to be back.

Well started putting gas in the tank only to find out my petcock was leaking.:mad:So I took it off to try and figure out why seems somehow I tore the the rubber on the diaphram inside when I took it apart and cleaned it.:banghead::mad:Another setback.:banghead:

Well started putting gas in the tank only to find out my petcock was leaking....:banghead:
If the tank didn't have gas in it for a long time, maybe the gasket had dried out - like an old wooden boat that needs to take up water in the spring.
One more reason to support the "keep the tank full at all times" school of thought re: winterizing?

Your probaly right Lou thing is I changed tanks over the winter.Also the gasket on the bottom of the petcock is completely compacted flat.Since the petcock when on a different tank it didnt seal.Also I found out I tore a rubber piece inside the diaphram when i put it back together after cleaning.

Working on getting things ready for the first ride of spring! Gotta get the paint finished so I can get the tank back on the bike. What do you think one cream stripe or two? The majority of the tank will be the crimson color to match the side panels. Where the tape is will be cream colored.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 216
Cleaned up engine mounting bolts with petrol and steel wool. Good result. Will employ this on the engine case bolts also.

Discovered I'd been sold two RHS rear upper engine mounts, so need to source the LHS one again :(

Fitted one of the two shift rod blind grommets that came in the mail today.

Fitted rear brake caliper mount.

Yeah was thinking about that.I made a gasket out of some thin carboard so Im hoping that will work.Now I find out my oil filter gasket is leaking also:banghead:
Careful with that one - if it is anything like the DOHC - which is a giant "O" ring on the cover and a small "o" ring on the shaft. I over-torqued and cracked the cover. Then it REALLY leaked. :yikes:

I made a silcone bead around the filter housing yesterday also and hopefully fixed the fuel leaks.I was carefull to not over tighten the filter housing.:)Going to put the tank back on and some gas in the tank.Hopefully everything is a go I`ll be triing to start it if everything is ok today.Also going to order my brake pads today so hopefully next week it will be ride time.

Back