What did you do with your XS today?

Went for a nice ride after sunset. The driving lights are astounding!!!

I think I'll call them either "Deer" or "Dear" lights. Because I will be able to see a deer clearly 750m out, possibly further. Or because every time I turn them on I giggle like a school girl and think "Dear God, those lights are amazing!". :D

Dropped the battery in and figured out that maybe the relay was bad, maybe not, either way can't get the headlight working. So, in the mindset that maybe it wouldn't work if the engine wasn't running, I put the bike back together, put in about a liter of fuel and watched as fuel leaked out through the air filters and carbs.

Not the best of evenings. At least with the help of the forums Hubby and I have narrowed it down to the floats and now have to figure out how to measure them tomorrow.

One problem at time...fix the leak first, then figure out the headlamp, and somewhere in there order all the fracking parts I need. yay me!

I mounted a pair of 50 cal. Ammo cans on my 80 Special 2 for use as saddle bags. They turned out rather well and they were cheap. The whole project cost me less than 50$. Next up is a windshield.

Attachments

• DSC_0161.jpg
    DSC_0161.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0159.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 227
Gravel, that looks nice. I'm gonna chuckle if you picked those up at CC Military in Central City. I've been looking at doing something similar.

Tonight I'm soaking the needles from the floats in hopes that the needles will rehydrate. Tomorrow, putting it all back together to see if she still leaks.

Mounted new tires front and rear only to find out the seals for both valves leak:banghead::wtf:

New brake pads, stainless steal brake lines and M/C rebuild also complete.:thumbsup:

Then found out my new throttle cable is too short:doh: and stripped the screw to tighten my clutch perch to the bar.:mad::mad:

And...the needles sealed like they are supposed to!!! I'm a happy girl!

No leaks even with all the failed kickstart attempts.

The needles in the float assembly have a neoprene type tip. Soaked them in motor oil for 24+ hours then promptly wiped them down and put everything back together. The bike has sat dry in storage for about 2 years. Every inch of her is a beautiful mess. I have one week to get her up and running or I'm stuck riding pillion on a '82 Seca...not the most comfortable seat out there, pretty sure the passenger seat doesn't even qualify as a seat.

Now just to figure out why she doesn't want to start :(

Had the valves adjusted and carbs synced on the 750 today. Also replaced the old crappy fuse box with a new ato fuse box from oreillys. Hopefully the thing starts easier tomorrow morning, it's been awful up to now. Once it's going it runs fine but it takes fifteen minutes, a dead battery, and a sore leg to get it going
Wish it was an easy one kick bike like the 400

Been working on installing new baffles on the what was harley turn outs.I found out they alread had baffles in them and they had been punched out.So a friend let me borrow his torch set today and cut the remainder of the baffles out and installed new ones.I may not bother welding the turn out tips back on them and might just leave them straight.

shortened the front fender. After removing it, I realized it was an important fork brace....opted to make it just that.
I will put it back on soon, as I am getting a rear fender fabbed up in the meantime.
Nova Scotia motor vehicle laws have me jumping through hoops!

I have received new Chain, and have installed it. Coated in DuPONT Teflon Chain Saver, Dry Wax Lubricant. http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

Validated that there is no more leaks behind the drive sprocket cover.
Tighten up the Oil sending unit, removed the crankshaft cover, and re-sealed it. Hoping to stop the minor leak there. Now to see if there are any more leaks?? 3 things left to leak, Oil filter housing, oil drains, and the oil basket spot. I have track record for not tightening enough. There are just too many stories of what happens if you over tighten, you know what I mean?

Tomorrow's plan check for leaks, and maybe see if one of the older 2 Voltage regulators work? So that I don't have to have that huge BWD select R296 unit? Maybe put on the old front fender?

Go the headlamp reassembled!
I don't know who thought those f-ing clips would fit to hold the lamp in place, but really? really? No normal human can get those in place! I finally had to alter them. I don't even know how hubby got them off! Today was filled with much swearing.

Tomorrow (if nap time happens...please, please, please, mommy needs a solid 45 minutes to work on the bike), putting the chain back on, oil change, and seeing if she starts.

Back