What did you do with your XS today?

Thanks arfstrom, but I have already made that adjustment just haven't been able to test the adjustment yet. I used that thread and my clymer manual to figure it out... Maybe... I'll see tomorrow when I great it all.

Now that I'm mostly over a head cold I was able to get out for a ride. First some easy riding with a couple stops to check on my chain tensioner - Working as designed! Then some country roads and highway. A subtle but noticeable difference in how the bike rides. The rear suspension feels more "plush". It soaks up bumps with much less of an impact, and the transition from accelerating to engine braking is smoother, and vice-verse. The slack in the chain isn't nearly as noticeable, despite being more than double what I used to run.

It is no wonder my chain was stretching so quickly, it didn't have enough slack and was limiting the rear suspension travel and it was being put under incredible tension when the suspension compressed. Problem solved and lesson learned... :)

:laugh: If I can get them for a good deal and be able to make a few bucks and help you xs400 guys I get them. The thing is to find them for a good deal.

It RUNS!! It really runs!! Finally had some time and money to put into the bike & it finally runs. Been having a hell of a time with some life and money issues last few weeks not to mention crapped out computer. But finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. Spent a few hours on the electricals clapped out fuse box and bad connections. Replaced the plugs wires and caps. Took it down the street for a little spin go's into all 6 gears good front brakes work ok back brakes grab and the fork is dry but it sure felt good to drive it. Now to continue to find and repair that F%^&*$( oil leak replace the fork seals and fork oil check rear brakes and apply for the replacement title. Woohoo!!!!:):laugh::bike:

MrStubb, Get your title work done NOW, If you wait you may find it cost more than the bike is worth. Or as has happened to others someone else gets a title for it and you loose it.
Anything that you don't have a title for should not get any money spent on it till you have the title in your name.
No title = parts bike.
Leo

Yesterday one cylinder cut out as I was halfway my way to work. Pulled to the side of the road and switched to RES, revved it a little and it went back on. So I figured I needed fuel (same thing happened in the past when I was out of fuel). This morning I filled it up, only 4.5 liters went in! :wtf: thats just like 1.2 gallons...

something else must be wrong with it... but what? Can't really diagnose a problem when it fixes itself :laugh: but I guess I'll go check my petcock, fuel filter and carbs again, and the electrics, and the mixture, etc etc

Before you tear anything major apart, I would see if it does it again. Sometimes things do fix on their own.
eg., could have been a piece of carbon fused across the plug which then broke off on restart. It happened to me on a car once.

yea major power loss, different sound, it needed full throttle to just pull away from the traffic light. I've had it before a couple of times

Yea I won't start tearing down anything just yet, but I'll definitely take a look a the plugs and wires, and the petcock and fuel filter. If there's something obvious I'll spot it easily.

Yesterday i bought some sealant and coated my intake boots in an attempt to fix my vacuum leak. its my step one since they did have some cracks, so hopefully this takes care of that issue at least for a little while. If i see no change i am going to tackle the vacuum hose/cap issues.

The PO has a line coming out of the petcock that tees off into both carbs.. only recently did i find out i only need the left line, and the right can be removed lol I plan on taking that side off today and plugging the T and the intake boot port, fingers crossed that was the issue!

I'm finally going back to my '78 XS400 to tidy up the things I skipped/short-cutted when I built the bike up 4 years ago.

The bike looks good, and I get lots of good comments on it's appearance. It runs well, and is easy to start on the kicker.

However, the starter never has worked, and I hate to leave things un-rectified. After spending a day checking connections, swapping in a starter I knew worked, swapping solenoids, checking the starter button, I slept on it. Next day, I looked at grounds, and found that there was no ground from the starter button and the handle switch through the handle bars (rubber mounted). Some previous work by a far in the past PO on the kill switch had left no ground for the starter button. I found a NOS switch on ebay, nice and new, shiny....well the rest of the bike will need spiffing to measure up.

Next, the side-stand had always kinda flopped around when up. I discovered that the mounting bolt was a bit warn, and the frame hole had ovalled. I re-drilled the stand and frame mounting holes to a larger bolt, and drilled a new hole for the spring on the stand, giving a bit of tension. All good, now.

Now, I need to find some better-looking exhaust pipes...the old ones are a bit dented and scratched up, beyond polishing out. The bike already has some Dunstall-copy reverse-cone mufflers that I'll keep. I'd like to stay with chrome, rather than blacking them. Hmmmmm, I'll find something, eventually.

Of course, while changing starters, I had to pull the tank and carbs. That's when I discovered that the petcock-rebuild from 4 years ago was temporary......leaking.....found an OEM petcock on line, should have that in a couple of weeks.

Adjusted the valves. Destroyed on of the valve caps. Looks like the bik is out of commission for another days 3 days.:doh: Proceeded to change my oil and stripped the oil filter bolt to finish what the PO started. Lost all my tools at least 3 times during the project. Put new mirrors on. The PO drilled out the holes so I JB Welded them into place. Hope that works. still have to clean the oil screen, put in a new float replace the mix screws, and new float needle assemblies. Overall, not the greatest day of working I have ever done.:banghead:

Finally got around to replacing the 30 year old air filter. Interestingly, I found a stash of acorns in with the old air filter.

Back