What did you do with your XS today?

My jimmy rolled off the ramps as I was trying to get them out from under it then rolled into my bike.It broke one of the turn signals off the front so luckily just a little bit of minor damage that can be fixed easily.

Put the 79 in the basement for winter cleaning and tuneup.
Winter? Don't say that word, not in the middle of Indian Summer!
Just how far "up" are you in NY State, Lake Placid?
I went for a long, long ride in the 70 degree sunshine today - no winter here ... yet . . :laugh:

:laugh: I know it's not winter but the bike is due for a full service. I still have three bikes to ride so I am not done yet:wink2:

Last edited:
A lot of basements have an access door from the outside. If the stairway is a straight shot into the basement getting things in and out is easy. My sisters house has a 90 degree corner so getting anything down there is a real bitch.
Leo

In southern Ontario, it is very unusual for homes to have outside access to the basement. Don't know if it is building codes, or just the weather that has our homes designed this way...

Yes I have a door that I just push the bikes right in :D It's like my winter time garage.

glad i have a huge garage, its not heated or insulated, but once i get around to replacing the old glass fusebox we will be able to run some heaters in there. the past two winters have been rather dry and living so close to ocean limits the amount of snow we get.

should be able to ride until late december early January when it starts staying below 32F

I guess your house was built into a side hill, at least the basement, this lets you have a door that has a level entrance into the basement. Houses built on level ground with a basement often have a stair way dug down to the level of the basement. A door into the basement with a set of storm doors at ground level.
My sister's house has the 90* corner at the bottom of the stairs.
Look into the codes in your area. Talk to some builders/house repair folks. They should be able to tell you if this is possible with your house.
Out side access to the basement is handy.
Leo

16VGTIDave said:
In southern Ontario, it is very unusual for homes to have outside access to the basement. Don't know if it is building codes, or just the weather that has our homes designed this way...

Dave - Its not a building code issue most of the time. My office has designed many homes with a walkout basement. The issues that usually come up are if the home is in a flood plain, the lowest opening needs to be higher then a certain elevation which usually kills this idea. Also if you want bathrooms you have to be sure you enough slope to the sewer system, and you run into extra issues when excavating if you have a water table that is to high or soil that is too porous.

Mostly people don't do it because it costs to much to build up the lot just to dig it out for that basement, and then you have to worry about grading issues on site so that you can use your driveway and cut the lawn lol..

Its not often you find a lot that is naturally suited for a walkout basement UNLESS you just build the foundation walls up the extra 10 feet and have a huge main entrance staircase, but people typically arent a fan of that either lol.

My house is a ranch style home with 3/4 of the basement about 5' or so under ground. The door is in the back of the house at level. You can see all the baking soda in front of the door from all them dam carbs I have been cleaning:laugh: It looks like christmas time.

Attachments

• DSC02160.jpg
    DSC02160.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02159.jpg
    DSC02159.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 227
A place like that with a 48 inch wide door makes working on a bike in less than beautiful weather much easier.

A place like that with a 48 inch wide door makes working on a bike in less than beautiful weather much easier.

It's only 38":banghead: I wish it was bigger. The funny thing is I have only been putting my bikes in the basement for the past 5 years. I have been living here for 10:doh: It's nice in the winter with the wood stove going :D

I had my first official ride today since I dug my 1980 out of deep storage a couple months ago. Had to get the state safety inspection (passed, but the guy said the valves sounded like they needed adjusting), and then raced over to the DMV before they closed for the weekend to get it registered.

I never would have gotten it fixed up and running without this site and its participants, so thanks to all.

I will confess that having not ridden since 1988, I was a little skittish on the few mile section of the interstate. I would have been quite content tooling along like a little old lady at 45 mph, if it weren't for the semi's backing up behind me! :yikes:

Back