What did you do with your XS today?

Thanks Scorpio, my left side is lower then i would like it, but it runs so I am happy haha

I think the fix for the headlight/gauges lights is going to be a lot harder.

Im not great at electrical stuff so I probably wouldn't be much help,Simple things to check would be fuses ,grounds/loose connections and corroded terminals.

Finally was able to order the float needles and was hoping to get her running then prep her for long storage, but it looks like the snow and cold is going to beat me too it. Just ran out of time to keep working on her this year :(

Time now to look into the best way to store her. As she sits, I have the carbs pulled so I can replace the needles and hopefully that will fix the fuel leak (it did the last time, but who knows). Now I'm wondering how do I store a bike that won't start? Do I fix the leak and try to winterize as best I can, or do I just let her sit as is, just put the carbs back in (with out the new needles) and do the work when I get back next fall.

Everything I've read on winterizing and long storage is for running bikes. Any advice on storing bikes that don't run?

Kristina - I am not 100% on this but if it was my bike i would still either drain the gas tank or stabilize the fuel in it (or even bring it in doors since its small and easily removed).

With the carbs off you won't have to worry about the fuel gumming them up (which i think is the main concern in the winter is fuel sitting). I would put them back on (mainly just to seal the intake openings from moisture and stuff getting in) and just not connect the fuel line to ensure they don't see gas leaking in and that's it i think...

I would drain all the gas out of the carbs and tank.Seal off any openings to the engine,take all the plugs out spray some fogging oil in the cylinders.

Don't seal off all the openings. If you cap off all the opening to the engine this will cause condensation in the engine when temps rise and fall. I would leave the mufflers alone (unless you have open pipes) and put the air filters back on. If you are storing outside put a tarp over it.:)

I seal up my engines, but a little differently than most:

Go to a local used clothing store and buy a cheap Goretex jacket. Then cut pieces large enough to cover the mufflers and carb boots. I use large elastic bands to secure them after I have oiled the cylinders.

The Goretex will allow any moisture to escape while preventing more from entering. :)

When I said sealing up the engine I guess you missed the part where I said lube the cylinders with fogging oil:shrug:This is what I did with my enduro I had for 2 years and it was outside and wrapped with a tarp.Never had any problems the engine would kick over everytime in the spring.

Last edited:
Nice! I love my Euro bars.. i have limited ride time on them but they look great and the position is comfortable enough so far.

Yeah I have been contemplating what kinda of bars to get for a long time.After looking at several builds with them on it that helped me make my decision.I thought about getting a set of clubmans but the Eros looked more comfortable and better looking.

Winterizing, even thou I am not worried about it this year, (since my bike is in 3 main parts :er: ) some had suggested the stabilizer, into the tank, and drive it 5 more minutes to get it into the carbs. Being from Minnesota, the home of the Seafoam, Seafoam is also a fuel stablizer. just not primarily marketed that way. but for 6bucks a can. stabil is just fine i suppose.

On the plus side, I dropped off the new valves at the machineshop today, and was told I didn't need all the crap I just spent $$ on, so I am returning it. Now to see what the return/shelf fees are. Only thing I have bought extra was the bottom spring plate (name eludes me know) on the valves.

Here's my how-to-winterize your bike:

- Grease the chain
- Inflate the tires to the correct pressure
- Put regular fuel in the tank
- Strap on a pair
- Go for a ride every day

:laugh:

Re-beared rear wheel with some fresh bearings and put new chain with sprockets.
Still need to save some $ for that exhaust :D

Attachments

• P1000917.jpg
    P1000917.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 205
Re-beared rear wheel with some fresh bearings and put new chain with sprockets.
Still need to save some $ for that exhaust :D

I am not a big fan of the dohc bikes styling but I like the looks of the stock exhaust.:)

Well, I did it. I slapped her back together with a little lipstick and bubble gum. God I wish I could figure out why she doesn't want to work. I am 90% certain it's a carb thing (especially after reading a large portion of the posts here), I just ran out of time and energy to dig any deeper than I already have.

Picking up the trailer tonight and taking her out to my mom's tomorrow where she'll live a restful year and a half in storage until I can get to her again. I am really sad. I'm gonna go have a beer now. Then prep to winterize the other bikes.

Back