What did you do with your XS today?

What degree of pullback are your bars? Let us know how you fair with rotating them!

They are practically flat, and rotating them didn't accomplish anything.

I think the front end of my bike, and the wheels, came from some other Yamaha. My top tree has cast-in pullback/risers -- if the top of the tree was flat, I don't think I'd be having this problem. Can anyone ID my top tree from this crappy picture?

I'm thinking about solving my problem with a set of these:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-7-8-handlebar-risers

Attachments

• IMG_3649crop.jpg
    IMG_3649crop.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 224
I took advantage of the relatively warm day and took my wheels off so I can get new tires mounted. Next I want to clean up the dash area. Paint the upper triple clamp, bar mounts and master cylinder.

Attachments

• xstires 002.jpg
    xstires 002.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 208
I removed and disassembled the instrument cluster to clean it and paint the needles with custom hi-vis yellow / glow in the dark paint. Got the second base coat of white paint drying.

You did both? What it looking like? I was going (am going) todo my tach, but if your looks good, I just might do it your way. I was looking at that german site that drewpy had linked some time ago, (I think it was him) since then I have been on pause till the bike gets back to running order. Thanks (I know Pics are coming!)
Tobie

can pry the faces off with a flat head carefully working ur way around, then re-crimp them on with duck-billed pliers and a rag to protect the finished edge

Got my front spoke wheel in today:) Put a lighter rotor on and checked the weight compared to my mag wheel:( Only 1.5 lbs lighter:doh: The hub also uses a 17mm axle (the xs400 uses a 15mm) So I would still have to get the right spacers and axle. The wheel is of an RD. After doing some research I have found that the mag wheels are heavier but only by a little. If you go with an aluminum rim for the spoke wheel you can save more but that's also more money:laugh: So this will not go on the bike.

Attachments

• DSC02332.jpg
    DSC02332.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 192
One of the advantages of the DOHC bikes is a gauge cluster that can be easily opened, cleaned and serviced. :)

First pic was taken outside, not in the sunshine. Second is in a dark area of my workshop. The glow is brighter than the pic makes it appear, and lasts for about 2 hours in complete darkness, getting gradually dimmer as time passes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Photo 1-14-2014, 16 41 58.jpg
    Photo 1-14-2014, 16 41 58.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Photo 1-14-2014, 16 42 35.jpg
    Photo 1-14-2014, 16 42 35.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 189
Got my front spoke wheel in today:) Put a lighter rotor on and checked the weight compared to my mag wheel:( Only 1.5 lbs lighter:doh: The hub also uses a 17mm axle (the xs400 uses a 15mm) So I would still have to get the right spacers and axle. The wheel is of an RD. After doing some research I have found that the mag wheels are heavier but only by a little. If you go with an aluminum rim for the spoke wheel you can save more but that's also more money:laugh: So this will not go on the bike.

mine are alloy rims, def lighter :wink2:

This is a 1.60-18 rim. All the alloy rims I have found are 1.85-18 rims. Agree it will be lighter but by no means a huge amount:( Maybe another 1lb or so and for the cost of it I will save this for another day:)

Took off my headlight bracket and gauge cluster to clean every crack and crevice. Triple trees cleaned up too. Replacement will have to wait til tomorrow.

Right control cluster was all gunked up inside and out by the leaked/dried up brake fluid so I took it all apart and cleaned it up too. It's back together.

The cleanup job is coming along just fine but the wife is already complaining I don't do anything but work on the bike. Oh well, it sure is fun.

Finished all the case bolts with aluminum ones.

Attachments

• DSC02342.jpg
    DSC02342.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02343.jpg
    DSC02343.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 189
Bought a bunch of bits and pieces today. And a set of brand new pipes, not factory-looking but close. The local dealer had them in stock for a while it seems because he even gave me a 10% discount.
Now I've got more to work on.

We have a small one one room bachelor appartment in the basement and the tenant left! the appartment needs renovations so it wont be for rent until summer. We don't have a garage and it's pretty cold right now over here so I brought the bike inside to be able to work on it and started deconstruction!

2014-01-17162142_zps10a5e5a5.jpg

Put back side covers after repairing them.
At first I wanted to paint them in the same color as tank and tail, but after putting them on. I kind of like the way it looks now with black primer coat on :)

Attachments

• 2014-01-15 ziemasmiegs.jpg
    2014-01-15 ziemasmiegs.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 173
Back