What did you do with your XS today?

Ordered new brake shoes. My rear brake stops well enough but I figure for $30 shipped I'm happier knowing exactly when it's been done.

anyone have tips on dealing with salt water mist? I moved to a house that's a two minute walk from the beach last november, and the seawater is having some effect on my xs... :(

I don't have a garage either unfortunately. I keep everything lubricated as much as I can but there's no stopping the rust from forming.

I havent used it but maybe ACF50 ANTI CORROSION FORMULA, I know drewpy swears by it for keeping polished alloy nice. Im not sure how it would work to protect from saltwater.

"ACF-50, Anti-Corrosion Formula, is a state of the art, anti-corrosion lubricant compound, specifically designed for the Aerospace Industry.

It is an ultra Thin Fluid Compound (TFFC) that actively treats metal using advanced polar bonding technology.

ACF-50 actively penetrates and "creeps" into the tightest seams, lap joints, micro cracks, and around rivet heads, displacing moisture and other corrosive fluids (orange juice, coke, coffee, salt water) in these corrosive prone areas."

Btw I wish I lived 2min walk to the beach :thumbsup:

Well, last week i called around and got some quotes on what it would cost to fix up my bike.. and well.. they were far out of what i wanted to pay.

After some deep thought, and a great deal on a reliable running bike on kijiji, i made the decision to sell mine and use the money to pick up a used 2008 Honda CBR 125. I know its not the same, but its reliable and will let me finally get out of my friends garage. Maybe in the future i will pick up another xs400 when i have the space and skill store and wrench it. But for now, i just wanna enjoy the road and my bike was holding that back.

You guys have been a great community, one of the better boards i have been on (and i have been on many boards lol) but now that i have let go of my xs400 i probably won't be popping in to often anymore.

Thanks for a great 8 months! I wish you guys all the best, and better luck then i !
farewell where ever you may fare.

Went a bit crazy on the weekend, followed Kristina's lead, and bought a bigger Maxim - an XJ650.
It's in very good shape, (just turned over 31k kms) with nearly new rubber, plugs, ignition wiring, brake pads and linings, fresh hypoid gear oil in the shaft drive. Yes, no more chain breaks!

It is so fast and smooth - and at highway speed the rpms are 1000 less - and, it's the right colour. Looks just like the pic below, but with a windshield and saddle bags.

Attachments

• XJ 650 Maxim.JPG
    XJ 650 Maxim.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 237
Lou Ranger, that's awesome! I'm glad you like it.

I just got the new handlebars for mine (the xj650, the xs400 is still stored and will be until the fall, I may be buying back hubby's first xs400, if that happens I'll be busy fixing bikes this fall). I have a hard time riding with the bent or curved bars like is common on most types of cruiser bikes, I prefer the straighter kind like cafe racer or adventure bike. I also have to play with the idle (hopefully it just needs to be adjusted), then it's off to play with the brakes on my hubby's xs1100 (and by play with the brakes, I mean fix the rear one, it locked up).

Hopefully I can finally put away the snowblowers!

Happy riding all!

Well, last week i called around and got some quotes on what it would cost to fix up my bike.. and well.. they were far out of what i wanted to pay.

After some deep thought, and a great deal on a reliable running bike on kijiji, i made the decision to sell mine and use the money to pick up a used 2008 Honda CBR 125. I know its not the same, but its reliable and will let me finally get out of my friends garage. Maybe in the future i will pick up another xs400 when i have the space and skill store and wrench it. But for now, i just wanna enjoy the road and my bike was holding that back.

You guys have been a great community, one of the better boards i have been on (and i have been on many boards lol) but now that i have let go of my xs400 i probably won't be popping in to often anymore.

Thanks for a great 8 months! I wish you guys all the best, and better luck then i !
farewell where ever you may fare.

Sorry to see you go. Good luck with the new bike:)

What i did with my 400 was buy it. Bought it for 800 from a very fine gentlemen from riverside, il. has 7.5k miles on it. then i took it home and rode it for a good hour (riding my first bike after i completed the motorcycle course). I can say it's got power.

Compared to what you learn on in the motorcycle course it will feel fast yes :) Around town and below 60 mph it's quicker than your average sub-$35,000 car, just not the sporty ones :D

Depends on what you do with it. Pulling away at the lights I won dragraces with stuff like porsches.. :laugh:

What i did with my 400 was buy it. Bought it for 800 from a very fine gentlemen from riverside, il. has 7.5k miles on it. then i took it home and rode it for a good hour (riding my first bike after i completed the motorcycle course). I can say it's got power.

Welcome to the forum:) You should start your own into thread with pics.

Just looked out the window and proceeded to research Snow tires for the Yamaha. Again Snow in East Central Mn. Expecting around 8" up to 12 possible. Freakin winter QUIT already.:yikes::wtf::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yup. Any snow, slower travel. Every corner to wipe out. I got 1/3 of my powder coated parts back. Looks like I can have running early next month.

Anyone with experience with removing the tach gear from the head?

I haven't searched yet. I have recently started a university. And time flies between working 40 weeks and fixing things. And sneaking some study time in. Willam I feel your tribulations

Back