What did you do with your XS today?

put a plate on, filled it with fuel for the first time this season and I must have done something right when I put her to bed cause she fired right up no problems. now only need to find time to ride it.

I started my bike for the first time today! Seems to be running well but it's got no front brake at the moment because I'm still waiting for my new master cylinder to arrive so I'm not sure how it'll be on the street (plus I don't actually know how to ride yet, except in the abstract). Carbs will almost certainly need some fine-tuning but she runs!

I also installed new fork gaiters to replaced the cracked fork dust seals and dropped my forks about an inch while I was at it. My intent was to mount clip ons on the tops of the tubes after they were extended above the top of the triple tree but they won't clear the stock handlebar mounts. Oh well.

Yeah, but it's not the rubber that's interfering, it's the outer diameter of the mount. I'd have to cut notches to make room and I don't like the idea of cutting into the triple tree, seems like it's asking for trouble. I'll just have to get a new headlight bracket and mount them underneath the top of the tree.

Got my shiney new Stainless steel bolts! Powdercoat is done, now to find the time with 2 college classes this month. How is my bike going to get put back together now!

Still need to spray paint the case. and finish touching up the tank.

Yesterday, I removed the rear fender and splash guard. I also removed the chain guard, but I had to drill out the forward screw since it was stripped. Didn't take long, but it had a pretty big impact!

I've never liked shoulder checking and in the 22 miles I've ridden my XS360 I find it takes my eyes off the rode for too long.

So today I bought some tiny little convex mirrors to mount on my bar end mirrors. Haven't tried them yet so not sure if the idea will work out or not. We'll see.

Just bought a pair of Emgo pods with 142.5-150 main jets. Planning to do the install onto my intake H-pipe on Friday. Any recommendations other than "Make sure you install them right with the right jets"? New tires will be later this weekend, but I'll save the details for then!

Flornz, it fit the frame very well, was available at the right price, and has 5" of travel which is +2" more than the stock suspension. The bike is obviously taller, more so since I increased the fork spring preload to help level the bike out. I have a 33" inseam and can almost get both feet flat on the ground when seated. My Maxim isn't a "cruiser" any longer. ;)

Dave, do you know the eye sizes on the stock shock? I am planning on replacing mine (83 Maxim) with one from a Yamaha XJ600? Assuming the shock fits, can you think of any reason why I shouldn't?

Sorry Flornz, no idea.

On another note: my Maxim is back together! Started on the second attempt and everything is working as anticipated so far. After 20 minutes of idling and a bit of revving my oil temp was still below 50C. You guys who think that a bit of idling will get the engine to operating temperature for tuning are sorely mistaken. ;)

Time to get geared up and go for a ride!

good to hear dave!

yea I can second the bike staying under operating temps for a good long while. I have been testing how low I can set my idle rpms, and it is quite a difference between 100% warmed up and 'warm enough to take the choke off'

Actually I have been looking at getting some hand guards, how did those barkbusters work out? Did they just bolt on, and which exact model do you have? Do they keep your hands warm enough without heated grips in winter?

Thanks Willem!

Like my signature says, I'm running BarkBusters Storms. They clamp onto the bars and were easy to install. I can wear summer weight gloves down to about 15C without my hands getting cold. Below that, I'm wearing silk liner gloves inside the summer gloves. Below about 10C I wear winter gloves. The Storms also keep my hands dryer in the rain if I can keep moving, and keep the bugs and stones from hitting my hands. I plan on adding heated grips in the fall. Probably Oxford grips.

I finished a thorough cleaning of my carbs that involved the replacement of one pilot air jet and the throttle shaft seals. Everything else was cleaned and put back in service.

I then took some pics for future reference in answering carb questions....I know we hardly ever have carb questions here, but just in case.

Feel free to use the pics to ask or answer anyone's questions.

full

full

full

full

My new master cylinder finally showed up (a solid month after I ordered it) so I'm picking that up today and hopefully installing tomorrow.

Back