What did you do with your XS today?

Finished my sidecovers and got to flip around on a quick little jaunt. Now I need to rebuild the back end, and reupholster the seat with some beat up leather. Prolly put my skills to the test and stain the leather around the edges to match the wood panels and heat tool some fancy filligree designs on the seat after I get it reshaped and reupholstered.

Does anyone have some direction on where to start with hiding the battery? I don't even know where to start looking. I've seen those slim batteries, but what's a good one? I'm pretty positive my stator is going out, but I need to go through the harness before I'm sure. So I'm nervous I'd lose battery life more quickly with the smaller battery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 286
If you go with a smaller battery you need to make sure the charging system is in tip top shape. If you go with one of them sealed agm or acid batteries make sure it has a charge rate of 14.5-15 volts. If not you will fry it in no time. There a re a lot of threads on small batteries just do a forum search.

I charged up the battery, fixed the dodgy battery connector, drained the fuel and poured in some fresh 95RON and gave a couple of squirts of ether. It took quite a few kicks but she started up. It wont idle and it is running only on the right cylinder so needs some trouble shooting there. Plus I haven't done any syncing or tuning since the top end swap so I think I have a few things to sort out before asking the brains trust for help.
Also, I went way too big on the jets so will need to order more pilot and main jets.

Even though it was running rough it was good to hear the bike running again and I look forward to hearing noise out of both pipes soon.

Today I found an army surplus bag that made a great side bag! I finished my handmade wooden sidecovers, and I mounted a push button start under the seat. I created a container for the rear section of my wiring harness. I'm not willing to explain what I made said wiring carrier out of until I get positive/and or negative feedback from it ^_^ I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Then I reinserted my baffle in my megaphone , which dramatically smoothed out the ride! Took a test ride , and seem to not be having a charging problem anymore after cleaning up some wiring. Hella good day!

Ps- I also reupholstered the seat lol finally got some shit accomplished

Today I found an army surplus bag that made a great side bag! I finished my handmade wooden sidecovers, and I mounted a push button start under the seat. I created a container for the rear section of my wiring harness. I'm not willing to explain what I made said wiring carrier out of until I get positive/and or negative feedback from it ^_^ I'll post pictures tomorrow!

Then I reinserted my baffle in my megaphone , which dramatically smoothed out the ride! Took a test ride , and seem to not be having a charging problem anymore after cleaning up some wiring. Hella good day!

Ps- I also reupholstered the seat lol finally got some shit accomplished

Does anyone have some direction on where to start with hiding the battery? I don't even know where to start looking. I've seen those slim batteries, but what's a good one? I'm pretty positive my stator is going out, but I need to go through the harness before I'm sure. So I'm nervous I'd lose battery life more quickly with the smaller battery.

I hid my lithium on the underside of the rear tank mount, not sure how much room you will have however as I will be running vm30 carbs which will give me a little more room, and my uni fiters are downswept 15 degrees. But if you want to get rid of electric start you could easily hide a small one under there

Ordered a bunch of stuff last night, including new tubes and tires, turn signals and tail light/plate mount. Going to get her running real soon.

qf9L8uv.jpg

Ordered a Yamaha logo I designed to be lasercut and glued in place of a tank badge; hunting for a second tank I can refinish while I ride on the stock one. Only the yellow/red gradient part is being cut, the rest is just me indulging my 80s design addiction.

Been busy rebuilding the engine on mine. Finally go the two halves of the case cleaned and painted....took a while as they were thick with corrosion. Stripped, checked and rebuilt the crank yesterday.....had to replace one of my pistons as it was damaged....I presume from someone poking about the broken spark plug above it.

Got the gearbox gearsets stripped cleaned and rebuilt tonight. Hopefully the case will be back together by the end of the weekend. :)

Then I need to clean up the barrels and head and get it all back together.

Attachments

• CIMG0437.jpg
    CIMG0437.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 244
  • CIMG0438.jpg
    CIMG0438.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 255
  • CIMG0431.jpg
    CIMG0431.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG0422.jpg
    CIMG0422.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 242
  • CIMG0445.jpg
    CIMG0445.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 246
Been busy rebuilding the engine on mine. Finally go the two halves of the case cleaned and painted....took a while as they were thick with corrosion. Stripped, checked and rebuilt the crank yesterday.....had to replace one of my pistons as it was damaged....I presume from someone poking about the broken spark plug above it.

Got the gearbox gearsets stripped cleaned and rebuilt tonight. Hopefully the case will be back together by the end of the weekend. :)

Then I need to clean up the barrels and head and get it all back together.

Lookin good!! :thumbsup:

I noticed that two, then I did the search in that thread, and found 3 total 2L0's. So now the question is, can he tell the difference of the E or F model?

I noticed that two, then I did the search in that thread, and found 3 total 2L0's. So now the question is, can he tell the difference of the E or F model?

You can tell one way by looking at the build date. 77=78 and 78=79. I also believe you can tell bey the vin number. The 78's start with a 2l0-002*** and the 79 has 2l0-001*** or something like that. In other countries it may be different and in some the codes and numbers will not be the same as in the U.S.

Back