What did you do with your XS today?

xschris, that drill press looks pretty nice, givng you excuses to drill stuff out, be careful...Ha,ha..What kind of chain you got? Looks pretty good...I've been searchin the net...Spad

The chains I have came from ebay. It's a standard nickel plated one. The seller no longer carries them:( I first put one on my xs650. For the price of $43 shipped each I got two more of them ( four years ago). I run them on both my bikes.

I sometimes see them come up for cheap listed under older Harley bikes. 120 link 530 pitch.

rugby you are right, big sprocket with an extended swing arm and tiny tire....:doh:

Something Like This:

http://badbrothersracing.com/images/yellowbike/AAAA0011.jpg

Better Yet:
2008AMA_phil-libhart_pic.jpg

Last edited:
got the bike out for a little ride. Took the baffles out of the pipes & discovered that it gets Rocusly Loud!!! I can't ride it like that. Put them back in but It needs to have a bit more bark than this. Also tweaked the idle mixtures & lost some of the hanging idle when I come to a stop. Those Mufflers really are megaphones with out baffles but anemic sounding with them. Think I'll modify the baffles by drilling a few 1/2" holes each. Any thoughts??

If you are looking for sound get a harley:laugh: If you don't like how they sound then look for another set with less back pressure. If you drill holes in them it will affect the tuning of the bike and destroy the chance of be able to sell them to most people. I would look for another set and sell the ones you have to help pay for them.

Loud pipes save lives....Go ahead drill the holes, you've got nothing loose it will sound different. You can also look for other baffles that might fit your brand of muffler...Let us know the results...Carry on...Spad

"A few 1/2" holes"??? Why bother with mufflers at all then? ;)

If you'd said "a few 1/8" holes", I'd have suggested no more than 2 to start, and making sure to stagger them down the internal baffle, on different sides, etc. don't drill the end caps.

Loud pipes also cost a lot. Because they piss off the neighbours, who call the mayors office, who enacts new laws, allowing the police yet another way to extract $ from your slim wallet.

Today I dropped the entire back end... I'm having a new tire mounted from a buddy at his work, then I started at replacing my points but I gave up and decided going electronic was a definite upgrade that I'd rather put my efforts into. So I ordered the electronic ignition assembly from Mikes tonight. Dropped my oil as well.

Now my next question is, mikesxs has a set of carb holder spacers that are meant to improve low end acceleration and torque. They are meant for a 650 though. Does anyone know if these might fit the 400, and if so, (crossing my fingers here) would anyone know if they might be a beneficial upgrade?

Got the racks for my panniers mostly completed and installed. Still have to do some tidying up and paint them. I may install a couple more mounting brackets just to be sure they are solid and don't vibrate or bounce around.

Pics here with the panniers installed.

Looking really great Dave. Love the unique, custom, adventure look.
(Try holding your camera horizonal for all shots and your posted photos will be much more viewable.)

I thought holes always got bigger, In Minnesota (Minne-Snow-Ta) with all the salt and stuff dumped on roads here.

Okay, Progress!!!!!!!

I have Placed my battery inplace, and got all the under the Seat stuff in the right place. Tomorrows job will be to make a gasket for the stator housing, I will use the Gasket diagrams in the Lab, and then I will mount the stator, finish the plug reassembly, and any luck, I will double my success (like the other xs400 owner) and stage my wife with the fire extingusher :) ;) like Arclight
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74829&postcount=42

Wish me luck

Adjusted valve gaps, adjusted spark gaps, put the motor back in the frame.

Next up reinstalling chain, clutch cover/cable, reinstall and adjust points, reinstall carb.

Back