What front calipers fit??

jboyer

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My front caliper is locked up:doh: and i need a new one but cant find one for a 400:banghead: so i was wondering if one off of any other bikes will work without any modifications. Thanks.

have you checked the piston. they do collect alu dust over time and seizes the piston.

just a quick clean with the dust seal removed and all is well again.

Im glad this got brought up cause I have the same problem since my bike is down for the winter Im going to take it off and see what i can do.

yeah sorry about that i have an '80 special and cleaning it and a rebuild kit are most likely going to be ordered before this spring

When rebuilding the front caliper to our bike, after removing the piston from the caliper, I wet sanded the piston and caliper with 800 grit to remove any and all traces of corrosion and cleaned both meticulously before taping off critical areas and painting the caliper. After installing new seals and reinstallation on the bike it has been working flawlessly since then.

Im in thr process of trying to take mine apart right now.For the life of me Im having the most difficult time taking out the piston.I boiled it,let it soak with liquid wrench and beast is being stubborn as a mule.Any ideas?

As I said in another thread I think Yamaha used the same caliper on most models from about 77 up to the mid 80's. I know the xs400, 500, 650, 750, 850 and 1100 used the same one. On some of the Specials, as in the 750,850 and 1100's they used a leading axle front fork and they used a different caliper.
Use an air compressor with a rubber tipped air gun. With a wooden board in where the pads go, press the rubber tip of the air gun into the hole the line hooks too and blow the piston out. Be careful not to get your figners in the way, the piston comes out with a lot of force.
Leo

Last edited:
Back