What Size Pod Filters?

Bssoap74

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen many different size Pod Filters. Is it 48mm or 54mm or a completly different sizw? If I go with emgo, I will connect the stock tubes so I don't run into any carb problems. Any help will be appreciated.

my 1981 xs400 special was 54 same with my buddies 79, They should be 54 but I would measure to make sure. My book said 48 and I know others' did too and they bought before measuring and they ended up needing 54mm instead of 48. So it's most likely 54 but measure to make sure. Also I hooked my pods directly to the carbs and haven't had any problems, been running like that for a couple months now. I obviously had to rejet, but that's easy. I was going to hook the pods up to the stock tubes but found it was nearly impossible to get a air tight fit because if you tighten the clamps too tight they just crush the tubes since they are such a thin plastic, not sure if anyone else has had this issue.

I just bought some off ebay I think the brand was westington or something like that, mikesxs has good ones too. If you go the ebay route just don't get any from overseas, as I bought a pair from china and they were CHEAP AS SH!T! Bought another pair from the states (the westingtons) and they work great and are much better quality. Emgo is a good brand that I've read many of the people on here use also. I have also read that the oval pods are better for your bike because the round ones can block the top vents on the carbs if you hook them directly up. You won't have this problem though if you use the stock tubes.

I bought some pods through Bike Bandit a few months back. Used the site's search feature to make them bike specific in order to ensure a good tight fit. Once I ordered them and tried to get them on, they were too small. The box they came in even said it would fit my specific bike and it didn't. Bike Bandit did refund my shipping costs, so that was nice, but I was still stuck with pods that didn't fit. I took a dremel to them and removed some of the "boot" rubber and got a good fit.

Moral of the story? Be prepared to do some retro-fitting even when the company says it is made to fit your bike- (this is probably good advice in general beyond the filter topic as well.)

The principle measure twice, buy once fits in here pretty well. :)
I got 54mm pods, no problems with the bike after re-jetting.

It sucks when you order bike-specific parts and they don't fit.

I had the problem of my pod was the same size as my stock tubes went to the hardware store got pvc for water drain and slide it in tube then put the pods on might create small restriction on flow but made it work. clamps down tight just takes two clamps.

hmmm.. that sucks, I have four pod filters that say they are 48mm and they will fit the xs400.... fuckers........

Back