What wheel bearings?

ArcticNemo

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I was gifted an '80/'81 400SH with 16" Mag drums (Thanks buddy :D ) It's a daily driver.
After a full summer of flogging, I find the rear bearings are probably definitely due for replacement.
The Drive side is problematic, no hard info on what will fit. It is still solid and rolls well, and I am hesitant to possibly mangle a working part on my commuter. I found several manuals calling for B6304RS, which does not look like the piece in now.
So, 6303.Z for non-drive (right) side; does anyone have a good call-out for the drive side? Guidance for rubber seal appreciated as well.

You can still get the seal and bearings from yamaha. If you google the parts numbers you can find other options that my be cheaper. Another thing to do is to remove the bearing and read the numbers off the sides of the and match them with a generic bearing from a parts store. Just make sure you get sealed ones. If you don't feel up to doing the job take the wheel to a shop. Make sure you check the swing arm bushings on the bike for play as they go bad before wheel bearings do most times.

Also if you have a Motion Pro bearing shop, check them out, sometimes they will have them in stock and a lot cheaper the the dealership.

What the others have said.
I pound out the old bearings and seals ( front and back wheels ) and take them to the bearing shop.
Same thing with the swing arm bearings. You may have bronze bushings.
Swing arm washers and cups are available on line.

Well, clutch cable popped after only 6 months...
I may as well do a bit of teardown and solve it the quick way, since I won't be riding through the weekend :(
Swingarm done first off, solid and greased. <10k miles on this thing, hadn't been on the road since '99... abusive neglect, a rescue adoption if I ever saw one.

Back