What's your profession?

willem

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what everybody here does for a living. I spend lots of time here, so we might as well get to know each other a little better don't you think? :shrug:

So I'm Willem, live in the Netherlands, turning 24 next week, xs400 is my first bike, got my license last December and been here since January. Engaged, wedding is planned for next year.

I just graduated my M.Sc. degree in Geology, and got hired at a small petroleum consultancy company. Basically I look for new gas and oil fields and suggest where new wells need to be placed. Sounds cool, and it kinda is I guess :D

so what do you guys do? And who the hell are you anyways?

Hello! I'm Jake, 32 and I live in Bellingham, WA. Been married a year now and have a beautiful 3 month old boy. Also a 4 year old ex-racer greyhound and an 11yr 18lb cat (he was my avatar for a little while). Currently I'm the main sushi chef at a restaurant, but may be moving up to sous chef at a different place by the end of the month.

The xs400 is my first bike and my learner. Meaning I'm learning how to fix, maintain and mod. I also have a '74 cb125 as my next project and a little z50 for my boy when he's old enough. While the xs is out of commission right now I ride a 2012 ninja 650.

Good to meet everyone! :)

Mike here, I live near Niagara Falls, NY. 54 years old, happily married nearly 30 years. I design industrial piping systems for a living, In addition to being the CAD administrator for my company's engineering department. I've done a bunch of hobbies over the years; woodworking, woodcarving, leather working, camping, fishing, hunting, target shooting, archery, and am now trying my hand at motorcycle resurrection. I just hope that when I'm done I enjoy riding it as much as working on it. :bike:

Matt, nearly 26, from the armpit of America.
Been working in the Lt. Governors office in the wonderful city of Trenton for a little over a year. Steady girlfriend of two years whose making a push for an apt:yikes:

Ive always LOVED motorcycles but never dreamed of owning one so early... always wanted a Ninja or CBR, but my roommate got a 77 CB550 and really got me into Cafe style bikes.

Just got my first bike in August, not even a license yet, pushing for the safety course route for my bday ($295 in NJ yeash)... but have been spending a decent percentage of my small government salary on getting this 78 running and rolling (gf not happy about it) with very little mechanical experience, just oil changes and brake jobs on my commuter cage....

added it to list of very expensive hobbies, Surfing, snowboarding, golf, soccer, playing drums and of course drinking :cheers::hump::cheers:

My Name is Aaron 49 years old on my 2cnd Marrage of
12 years to my wife Christy.Profession I wish I had one right now,I guess you would say Im on medical leave for the rest of my life.
I have done everything from automechanics,owning and operating my own landscape co,to working in high tech electronics field and even timber cutting.
I volunteered time with the Oklahoma fisheries devision and Im an environmental activist for clean cold water fish species.
I have been very mechanicaly inclined since I was young child,I always liked taking things apart to see how they were put together.
12 years ago I got my first computer and have been an online junky ever since.
Last year I picked up an xs400 for dirt cheap and been hooked on riding ever since.

Last edited:
Married 21 years, always been in Catering and owned a little restaurant for 5 years. French cuisine trained and have a Hotel catering management diploma

Currently catering manager at an Independent school (nicknamed Hogwarts) serving 2600 meals a day in an hour.

started computers with the commodore VIC 20, yep a whole 20k of memory and used to write my own basic and save it on a tape machine. :D Used to build computers (still do) but they are so fast now, there are little gains to be had except on the graphics card front.

had a xs400 since 2006.

had bikes since '87 and was always handy with the wrench, something I thought about doing, but enjoy cooking too

I am 39. married for 18 years have a 5 year old son left my job ( Assistant manager produce) after 12 year to take care of my son while my wife worked as an RN and went to school to get her masters. I also worked for the post office and did food service for a college and local hospital. Now I am just a slave to my wife and son as a domestic engineer and buy and sell bikes/parts on the web.:laugh: Have owned an xs400 since 1999 and got my first motorcycle ( a 72 hodaka super rat) in 1986.

Hi all my name is Daniel from Townsville Australia I am 38 years young and am happily married to Kylie(she helped to design my pipes)with 2 amazing daughters 11 & 16. My first trade is a small engine mechanic which I started after leaving school became a master tech for Briggs and Stratton and after 7 years I wanted more. I am now and have been for 13 years a licensed aircraft engineer working on Saab 340's hawker beech 200/300/1900 & ATR's. my first bike was a TS185 back when I was 19 my XS is a project I took on to relieve me of the stress of work, I enjoy camping,gardening and drinking I love working with my hands and was very fortunate to be given this bike I never realised this model had such a cult following. I am a virgin to forums but I have to say this would have to be the best, cheers

Nathan, 38.
Married for 3 years (2nd time around). 2 boys 4 & 2, and one on the way (due in December).
Started out as an electronics tech after trade school, moved on to production supervisor for a military communications supplier, now a project manager for an automated test house.

I started riding after the divorce. I had always wanted to ride, but didn't trust myself to do it safely (kid of have a lead foot...). Bought my kid brother's katana 600 tore it down and rebuilt it. It was love at first twist! I've never ridden something that fast before, and i was pretty bummed when it broke down. It sat for a couple of years (oldest boy was a newborn so i didn't have much time to work on it) . Other brother traded me a custom bike (to be determined and designed by me :D) for the katana (which ended up only having minir issues). I found the xs a year ago get it running, and started the teardown. Git itthe runningfor again earliertoday this summer; Only details and tires left at this point! I can't wait to actually ride it!

Posted via Mobile

Mathew, 18
I'm young and in love with motorcycles. (just an excuse for being single). I still live at home with my parents and I just started at my local junior college. I'm pursuing a career in law enforcement, starting with the Linn county Sheriff's dept. in Iowa.

I started riding when I was 14 on a learners permit. My dad bought two old bikes, a Kawasaki zl1000 eliminator and my Yamaha xs400 which I inherited for my 16th birthday. I've ridden if for the last 4 years and just yesterday bought myself a second bike! It's a 1995 Yamaha FZR600. They are both amazingly fun in their own ways. But there will never be a replacement for my XS!

Mike here. Super new to the community. Just sold a 74 cb750 to get a xs400. Project manager for a sound and communications company from Cleveland. Married 21 years three kids 13 to 19 years old. This will be my fourth bike but my first that I will be able to enjoy without having to work on it every weekend or sink a boatload of cash into. Looking forward to getting out on it soon.

Thought id drop a line here

Names John, im 20 years old i live in Delaware (the State) still with my parents, I Currently work at walmart just to make the payments on my 07 Dodge charger :laughing: (its a long story) Currently getting clean and drug free so i can look for something better to balance out my life so i can decide what to do with my life.

Dad bought this 1980 xs 8 years ago for 100 for my mom, she didnt want it, it sat until i ran across this site and decided i wanted to make a bobber out of it really makes good use of spare time and helps keep my head straight ... i think i rambled on enough so ill end it here have any questions just ask :laugh::laugh:

I feel like I am at an XS400 Owners Anonymous Support Group.

My name is Nick and I am a 40 years old. I am a self-employed IT support dude.

I'm just happy we're not all jobless 45 year old virgins with no life besides cleaning xs400 carbs :laugh:

My name is Manny and I'm an addict (XS400 addict) I am 45 years old (but sometimes I feel like a 64 year old). I have worked for a local school district here in southern California for the past 26 years. I call myself an acrylic latex alkyd emulsion micro layer applicator but most people call me a Painter. I also am a Glazier , sign maker, parking lot striper, and assistant to what ever trade needs an assistant that day... due to all the layoffs and budget cuts.

I started as a 19 year old kid in the district central kitchen as a assistant Baker, making ridiculous amounts of baked goods for the High Schools, Middle Schools and Elementary schools. I also had to make various goodies for the 'dessert' part of school lunches, making several thousand a day. Whew! I was glad to move up to the Maintenance department after a few years.

Married twice...the first one was a throw away ( young, dumb and...... in love) but the second one is a keeper,...going on 20 years now. I have 4 kids... 23 to 15 years old. #1 is a college graduate,#2,#3 are working on it. #4 is still in high school.

Traded a day and a half worth of labor painting a house for a perfectly untouched, one owner,2600 mile,classic 1979 XS400. What a deal! She is bone stock and ready to rock!!

Glad to have connected with all you all here on XS400.com

Back