when are carbs beyond bringing back to life

suffolkbobber

XS400 Member
Reaction score
well i took off my carbs from my xs400 and they are caked in gunk. they have about 1/4" of crap in the bowl, looks like syrup! i got em soaking right now, not taken about yet, but was curious how bad do they have to be to be considered trash? or easier to buy new carbs?

pic of one of the carbs without the bowl on, its pretty bad imo. choke is froze, wont move, the butterfly wont move. needle wont move. nothing

downsized_0505111857.jpg

Boil 'em! In lemon juice that is. I'm sure the bowl would work (and most other carb parts), I'm just not sure about the floats. On the other hand though, I like new carbs :D Maybe there are some on ebay? Also, I know someone on here had a carb for a single conversion in the classifieds section a couple of weeks ago.

In my opinion, unless the bodies are damaged you can probably restore them. Strip everything down and boil or soak them. Don't forget to remove the secret butterfly valve seals; I boiled mine with them in, but you probably shouldn't :)

In my opinion, unless the bodies are damaged you can probably restore them. Strip everything down and boil or soak them. Don't forget to remove the secret butterfly valve seals; I boiled mine with them in, but you probably shouldn't :)

explain lol. ive never torn down carbs like this, i did somewhat clean a smaller carb before.

I use a slow cooker[crock pot]with dish soap,although some use pine-sol,which should work fine.I just remove all rubber parts that I want to save,then put it back in overnight.It really works well and you can remove the carb,rinse repeat as many as you want to. Get some brushes,Harbor freight has some brushes for cheap and they work really good,though they don't last forever.Good luck and have patience! lha

Back