Where to buy jets

cutlass400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I know these questions have been asked plenty of times before but i'm gettin tired of going through old threads to find answers. Anyway I'm lookin to put some pod filters on my 82 xs 400 special and was wondering where to buy jets I would like a kit with assorted sizes. Most parts on the bike answer to 81 specifications, as I've heard these where just leftover 81 model year so I would like to make sure i get the right ones.

I was also wondering what a good place to start with the jets/ needles is. Ive tuned plenty of carbs but I just dont feel like takin this thing apart too many times to tune it. At what point do you adjust the needle instead of changing the jets? Thanks for your input.

Start with main jets. Get to the point where your top end WOT is solid with no stuttering.

Then shim needle (if required.) Get to the point where your midrange and top end are both strong. If you modify the needle, you may need to readjust the mains.

Then play with your pilot, if you're no longer idling and coming off the line solidly.

When I went to pods, I only needed to change the mains. I went up 5 or 6 sizes, though...

The best place to buy stuff from is Dime City Cycles, they are very friendly, you can call them and they will go above and beyond to help you, and they have all you need to make that little pony into a rubber burner! I just bought a set of new main and pilot jets from them after getting a little bit of help and advice because Im putting pods on the my 81 xs400 special cafe project and I couldnt be happier. They are reasonably priced, and once you visit their website you will end up finding every other part you could ever need to convert to a cafe racer!

Most any local independent shop that works on atv's or dirt bikes will have a good selection of real Mikuni jets.
Leo

Back