Which air filters

PiranahFish

Doug piranah
Reaction score
Hi There.
New to this so I hope I dont offend anyone.
My Name is Doug, I live in Noosa Heads, Australia. I am 51 years young.
I have been watching this site for some time and by chance managed to pick up a 79 XS400 out of someones shed for $200AUD. Its pretty rough but the price was right.
When I looked at the bike he assured me it used to run but couldn't get it going.
So i took it home changed the plugs, set the timing & points, (by sight mind) sprayed the carbs full of "Start you Bastard" attached the jumper leads off the car and what do you know it started and ran,at least for a while or as long as I sprayed stuff in the carbs. I will clean the carbs just as soon as the kits arrive.
The frame has some corrosion from where the back brake unit leaked so It will have to be welded, so I have begun the strip down, have the motor & electrics out, info from this forum has been a great help already.

Anyway I am getting away from my query, which is related to air filters I am wanting to replace the factory air filters with cone filters, but not sure if i need to mount them straight onto the carbs or onto the rubbermount that attached to the old filters. If i go straigh onto the carbs, the prefered option, what do i do to the vent coming out of the engine???

The conventional wisdom is that you have to re-jet with bigger jets if you put cones direct onto the carbs.

The vent will need a little filter of it's own. You can use a small cone filter there.

Hi thanks for the info.
Will search the site for jetting stuff.
I know its not quite carby stuff but..
I have been looking at the motor now its on the bench and noticed that the LHS exhaust outlet is black/sooty while the RHS outlet is white, as well I noticed an oil leak above the plug on the LHS could you give me some suggestions as to the cause or direct meto info regarding this.

Cheers
Doug

Back