Which Xs rims are tubeless?

Subtle Focus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, by looking at this rim with no idea the year it came from would anyone be able to tell if it is suitable for a tubeless tire. It does not say on the rim anywhere like the rear does and currently has a 3.00x18 tube tire on it. View attachment 6655

-Subtlefocus

My instincts tell me that unless it says tubeless, it ain't tubeless. It's fine to run a tube in a tubeless tires as well. I've been doing it for thousands of miles.

The mag wheels from the '81 were tubeless, but it really should say it somewhere on the rim. If not then I would just assume it requires a tube.

Yep, like I said, for the U.S. market they came from the factory so marked from 1980 on. Can't say about other countries as they did have some differences for those markets. The marking actually looks like it was engraved with a vibro engraver (series of dots), not like the other marks that definitely appear cast in. It will be on one of the spokes just like on your rear wheel. If you don't wish to go the tube route, you could look for one properly marked for tubeless.

Back