1978 xs400 Tubed to Tubeless swap?

tyrannotorus

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I've been considering making an offer on this 1978 XS400. The link will eventually be down, but I attached an image of it. The main hurdle is convincing my girlfriend that a second bike is vital to my being and our relationship :)

What sold me on it are the 18 inch tubeless mags, front and rear. I love 'em. I love the look. As I've discovered though, the mags weren't tubeless until at least 1980, when they were special (16 inch rear). I don't want to run a tube. I want to be able to plug it on the side of the road. I've read it's not safe at all to just seal the current rims, as the tire could come off the rim in the case of a flat.

I want a 1978 XS (my birth year). I want tubeless 18" (or 19") front and rear mags. Are there any suitable donor bikes for a swap? What are the options?

Attachments

• 1978xs400.JPG
    1978xs400.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
The sohc xs400 never had "18 rear tubeless tires. The 80-82 had like you said 18 front the 16' rear that was. Either just deal with it or try to have a custom rear wheel made. The problem is the disc setup the 78 has. I would go with the 16" mag drum as rear disc wheels are hard to find replacement parts for.

Thanks for the response xschris! I hadn't even considered getting a custom one made - I just assumed it would be cost prohibitive.
I've thought about it, and I think the solution would be to get a 1978 xs650, grab tubeless mags from a later model, and user Omar's 19" front wheel conversion kit for a 19" rear wheel.

I haven't found any info on whether Omar's front wheel conversion kit works on an xs400.

Tubes are not that bad. I have 2 bikes that I run tubes on and have no issues. One is a 78 with 18s front and back also........well it was a 78 but registered as a 81 I think. Other bike is tubeless rims but I dont trust the old cokers without tubes.

I don't think I would continue using a tire that was plugged, I don't care what, or who says that is OK. Then again, I ride my bike at 70mph for 45miles each way and occasionally see 95mph or more. If I was keeping it under 30 I might have a different opinion.

This is one my 360 with 18" front and back spoked wheels, obviously with tubes.

Back