Which year xs-400 is this rim off of?

Subtle Focus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 Yamaha xs400 and it has mis-matching rims on the front and rear, below is a picture of my front rim (sorry if the rough paint job and lighting make it hard to see the best I can do in my garage) would anybody have any idea roughly what year that rim is from. Its drum and I am looking to replace the brakes as it is needed and I dont want to order the wrong parts when I go to the dealership or order them online.

-SubtleFocus :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG092.jpg
    IMG092.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG094.jpg
    IMG094.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 142
they were used between '76 and 80. there would be a casting code inside the brake drum area. something like 1L9- .

what are you replacing? just the linings or the whole system?

I will have to look at that, thank you.

I am assuming the whole system as the brakes have no grip when I engage them.

This is probably a hard question to answer right off hand without looking at the manual but do you have any idea how to remove the front fork from a 79' model? Do I need to completely take apart the steering column or should the forks just slide out after the bolts are loosened holding them in.

Remove any cables that go to the front wheel (speedo, brake). Put the front wheel hanging in the air. Loosen the pinch bolts on each side of the yoke, top and bottom. The fork tubes should slide out of the yoke. If gravity doesn't do it, a rubber mallet may help. If it were me, I would take the front wheel off and take the fork legs off individually.

Back