Wider Fork / Triple Clamp

mytea

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently building a XS400 and I want to mount 4.50-18 firestones front and rear, but I need more space between the fork tubes at the front (about 1.5" or 2").

Does anyone know which Triple Clamp I can mount that has a wider gap between the fork tubes and fits the XS400?

Thank you very much.

Just a heads up. A quick introduction with info about you and your bike would get you a lot more helpful attention. Without at least your bike info we can't help.

With that in mind you should probably find a bike that fits that size wheel/tire and measure the steering stem length/diameter. If you find one similar to you bike then you'll be in good shape. Most likely you'll have to figure out how to swap out the stem and/or get new steering bearings that will fit. It's a lot of research that will most likely end up in an entire front-end swap.

As for the back it'll be similar. Most likely and entire rear-end swap.

Thanks for your advice, you're right.

I'm Mario from Germany and I am building a 1981 XS400 brat style with big tyres. As mentioned in the first post, I wanna fit 4.50-18 front and rear. The rear-end ist no a problem, but the front end is. I need more space between the tubes and I also did some research, although it was not very succesful. What I hoped was that somebody might already did similar research or has a oem bike with a wide fork, so I can make some research if I can fit parts of it to my XS.

...well...
I would check the maximum tolerances for your rims first.
Looks are one thing but shit handling or even "unbeading" are an other.
I'd replace the whole front end including a wider rim so form does'nt ruin fonction.

Of course checking the minimum tolerances of the rim was one of the frist thing I worried about. But it turned out that it's not a big problem. I've got a set of XS360 spoke wheels which need a rework (new spokes, powdercoating) and I found a local shop for this work. Making the front wheel wider while reworking the wheels is not a big deal. Right now the only thing I worry about is the problem I mentioned in the frist post... And changing wheels is not an option, I just love the look of the XS360 spoke wheels.

The handling of the bike will obviously be impaired by the 4.50 tire at the front, I know, but honestly... I do not really worry about this because I've got several other bikes to ride while the XS project is more like a fun "custom" build. Handling is not the top priority. :)

Thanks for your advice though!

Back