Wiring a USB/Utility Charger?

Vroom4

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has wired in a usb charger for phones and such to run off the bike while riding?

Any write-ups on the process? Advice?(I mean specifically for the XS400, other bikes can be found online)

I've found on long rides that I use the GPS on my phone as much as possible, and it tends to run out of juice fairly quickly that way. Plus you never know what may need a charge while on the road. A usb charger seems like a solid idea:thumbsup:

I have. I connected it to a wire in the headlight bucket that is switched with the ignition and a ground wire.

Make sure that the USB adapter you get is rated at 1A or better and that it is designed to charge your phone at full power. Some are capable of providing the power, but the phone will only trickle charge unless it gets the correct signal.

It may be easier to install a waterproof 12V power outlet (like in a car) and use a plug in USB adapter. With this outlet you could also power an air compressor, or other 12V device.

Dave said:
It may be easier to install a waterproof 12V power outlet (like in a car) and use a plug in USB adapter. With this outlet you could also power an air compressor, or other 12V device.

That's what I did.

But because I never leave my bike alone outside the garage, I was lazy and connectedit directly to the battery. Not the very best idea, I know...

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I had originally thought to do just a USB, but I could see how having the cig lighter style charger could come in handy. I'll have to look into finding a waterproof one(maybe marine?).

I'd rather not connect it directly to my battery so as to avoid and accidental battery draining. I'm wondering where the best place to hook-it up would be? Splice it into the headlight wires? I've been playing with the idea of replacing the oem fuses with bew blade style ones... so maybe add an extra fuse for the charger???

That would be cool...:D

Old post but i'd like to share my 12V socket installation.

Mounted the socket next to left indicator arm, routed the wire with factory wiring with a 10A inline fuse and a relay tied to ignition for switched power.

Attachments

• IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 154
Myself I just can't understand why anyone would want such a thing. To me getting on a bike and riding is to get away from things. Taking them along you may as well set on the couch.
Leo

Back