wiring diagram please help

Davey Socket

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Need a color coded wiring diagram for 82 Yamaha Maxim 400. Got it for a bobber project it came with out any wiring, has all the electrics and controls just no wiring at all. A simplified diagram would be better at least it would give you a plan to start from & maybe even a finished project in the end. :)

here's a 81 should be close

Attachments

• xs400.PNG
    xs400.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,681
if you look through the forum there is a whole thread dedicated to wiring diagrams, they came in very useful to me, type in wiring and look for a thread by travis, hope this helps.
ps welcome to the site.

Click on XS400 TECH at the top of page, under Electical, How to Rewire an XS400, might find it handy.
Leo

Does your bike have a 4 wire connector with a white, black, blue and a yellow/red wire? If so that's were your headlight relay plugs in. The headlight relay turns the lights off while the starter is cranking.
This lets the starter and ignition get the most from the battery they can.
Leo

well my bike originally has a 1980 points system from Australia but the previous owner got the front of wiring loom chewed up by his dog and i bought a 1978 us wiring loom and left and right switch blocks and generator to try make it easy to patch up this problem with the original wiring harness my original key start has 6 wires from it red/blue ,brown , red , blue/white , and two black wires , i am about to try wire up the four wires to it from this USA 1978 harness , the wires are red, brown , blue , blue/black , so color to color but the blue/whit will go to starter button i installed and ground black wire to chassis and one to wiring harness , i think the blue/black is a headlight wire from the USA 1978 harness , i have a red/white coming from starter solinoid and blue/white , the blue/white will put that on key start with there blue/white the red/white is not sure on

Back