Wiring directionals, what flasher

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have spent the last few days trying to figure out wiring on my 77 d. Finally in an attempt to simplify it, I wired a completely new harness with LED lights at the directionals. I have a schematic that I used but I think I may have gotten the wrong flasher, the one I have only has a red and black wire and I find no way to hook that up and make it work. Do you , any of you, have an idea of what flasher I should use and how would I install it I am including the schematic that I used. It just shows the Flasher as two wires but mine doesn't work that way.
20180927_130936.jpg

Soul man Thanks, but my harness that I wired is completely independent of the factory harness. There were so many patches and color changes it was easier to create a simple one. I have a flasher with 2 leads 1 red and 1 black. I have tried wiring it both ways red to power or black to power and the other to ground, I have tried it inline on the power feed, that was my original understanding of the relay process. I am confused and may do a flasher for each side. My directionals are run off mini pushbuttons installed into the bars for left and right. I have an adjustable 3 wire that might be my answer we'll see!

Last edited:
Well the post that was linked is how I did mine and works great...............

You may have to play with wiring and see what happens............keep a fire extinguisher handy :D

Well the post that was linked is how I did mine and works great...............

You may have to play with wiring and see what happens............keep a fire extinguisher handy :D
I have a couple new switches on the way, I will play around....I was working around the headlamp and leaned into a hot wire and zapped my self pretty good on my belly.
Add to that close quarters soldering and the odds increase exponentially! I think I have an idea how this will work....relay likely ends up inside the headlight housing...cuz there is so much extra space ...
NOT!

Honestly I dont understand how a 2 prong relay would work for both the right and left side blinkers... I suppose I would need to really understand where the relay fits in with the bikes in regards to the wiring diagram

If you have two completely separate pushbuttons I do not see how it could work with the schematic in your first post.
The first post diagram is accurate for a two wire flasher, understanding that the negative shown from the lights is the battery negative connotation, not a negative terminal on the flasher relay.

I've bought a few of these dirt cheap flasher delays from AliExpress:
http://s.aliexpress.com/qeEzAFVn

I believe it will wire into the positive wire which powers both switches( it started as toggle but it wouldn't fit the inside diameter) pushing the button creates and completes the circuit. As illustrated the flasher is not really 2 different wires but really one that enters the relay and exits the relay..
The ground should be coming from the individual lamps and/or shared ground circuit to the frame or battery. That is what the diagram looks like to me...
Thoughts?

Yeah, two latching pushbuttons wired with one terminal from each connected together and to the flasher relay should work.
Push them both at the same time for hazard lights? :)

Honestly I dont understand how a 2 prong relay would work for both the right and left side blinkers... I suppose I would need to really understand where the relay fits in with the bikes in regards to the wiring diagram
The relay is placed before the left/right toggle switch in the circuit. The flasher relay just flashes, the handlebar switch directs the flashing signal left or right.

Doesn't the flasher actually disrupt the power into the switch by opening and closing at a determined rate? The individual switches should work the same as a 3 wire toggle. Each side green or brown gets a switch and the battery power lead gets split into 2 seperate lines

The relay is placed before the left/right toggle switch in the circuit. The flasher relay just flashes, the handlebar switch directs the flashing signal left or right.
That's what I thought also. I already know the pushbuttons each work ( i tested each side with a larger switch I have) I apparently didn't wire the relay correctly though. I will go back at it in the a.m.

Yeah, two latching pushbuttons wired with one terminal from each connected together and to the flasher relay should work.
Push them both at the same time for hazard lights? :)
Unfortunately finding maintained pushbuttons to fit 8mm holes was impossible for me.I had to go with momentary switches that are with easy reach of my left thumb
I had the toggle ,briefly ,mounted at thehandlebar end where my little finger could reach but I didn't like the look and I felt anything I drilled and tapped larger than 8mm would require reinforing the bar by sleeving the inside before drilling it.

Just have to hold the buttons down for as long as you want them to flash?
At least you won't forget to turn them off. :)

Just have to hold the buttons down for as long as you want them to flash?
At least you won't forget to turn them off. :)
Exactly, an accomodation to NY state law only. The bike is very minimalist, headlight off/on and hi/lo swiches on the headlight bucket, low profile frt blinkers and the led stick on light bar on rear seat U. Waiting now for a mini speedo to complete the look.

Does it come with directions? I can't wrap my head around how to make the 2 wire work...mine might be fine
Well after many, many attempts I have come to the conclusion that my relay is bad. It does not ever blink and when stalled inline nothing lights....looks like I try again. Mine looks just like the one you used.

Do you think that because I created a new harness using direct battery voltage that I need to put resistors in line? I can think of no other reason that would lead me to believe relay failure was the issue. I installed the relay as an inline component on the positive wire, both directs,direct from battery and before the feed is attached to the switches. Am I doing it right? What would you suggest

Watch this... and maybe try an additional resistor.

I doubt you could hurt it by adding a resistor here.

Back