Wiring in a new key question

brownv1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't seem to find a simple on/off key with three terminals. Do they exist? I'm wondering if I get a two terminal key can I just splice the two wires circled or will it somehow fry the tail lights?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 331
Yes, you can hook those wires together.
When you turn the key to on the tail light comes on, stays on till you turn the key off.
The reason they are not hooked together is so when you put the key switch in the park position it lights the tail light without sending power anywhere else.
Leo

So you would put the brown and blue together and the red is added to turn everything on?

Yes, kinda, the red wire is the power in to the switch. The other wires are power out. In the stock switch they were set up to turn the power off or on in different positions.
Even though no one uses the park position.
When replacing with a on/off type switch then the red goes to input side of the switch and the rest hook to the output side.
Ah, I think I see what may be confusing. In my previous post I should have said I was describing the way the stock switch works. The stock switch works as I was describing.
Leo

Back