XS 360, Key off. Draws current when connecting battery. Headlight relay clicks.

DanD

XS360 Owner
Reaction score
I just have a quick question - I am diagnosing some electrical issues on an XS360. I don't know all the components yet, but am going through the manuals slowly.

After carb ressurection, bike runs fairly well on a full battery. But battery slowly dies after 15 mins or so. So I am picking through the electrical system. I have read some threads on this charging issue here as well.

History - Person I bought bike from demonstrated it could turn over by running it off a high amp charger with no battery. It did not run, just turned over off of starter motor. Could have damaged some electrical components, I guess. I see in the repair manuals, they always say DON"T do this. This could be a red herring.

After taking it for two drives since the carb disassembly and cleaning, now with key off, it draws current when connecting battery. Headlight relay clicks once also (I think it is the headlight relay, it is on left side, mounted on frame just onder front of tank). This can't be right?? All instrument lights function normally. I don't notice anything else out of the ordinary before pulling out the ohm meter. I am doing that now.

I was thinking the key itself, or a first relay (I assume the cylindircal one beside battery on right side is some kind of relay) Anybody have a similar problem before and know where I should look first for this voltage leak?

Thanks,

Daniel

PS. If I disconnect main (20amp) fuse, the draw on the battery and the clicking of relay on connection stops.

Last edited:
Do you know an upgrade? I mean other aftermarket rectifiers that will work well? I'm not sure our Yamaha people can get the original ones.

Oh, also, you are right, the person running the high current through your bike may have fried everything. I recently had my regulator fail; it grounded out to the frame essentially bypassing the regulator giving the bike full current. It fried my coils.

New coils can be had here for around $60 www.mikesxs.net if you need them.
Check ebay for a new condenser; they had new production ones for relatively cheap.

Thanks. That one has a voltage regulator built in. My voltage regulator is separate. But the connections look the same. They look exactly the same for both...

Yes, I'd just replace both if you intend to ride this thing regularly. Same with the coils and condenser.

If you want reliability the old parts need to go. That's my attitude anyway! I just replace it all; it isn't too expensive for peace of mind.

If you have points replace those too, and the ignition cables, spark plug caps, and spark plugs.

It'll run like a champ.

It's up to you though of course.

Thanks again for the info on coils. I will look them up. When I think of coils, I think of the ones before the spark... is that what you mean? Or do you mean the "alternator" coils?

Yeah, I have new points already, but the old ones are a bit flat, pitted and sparky... so in my mind that means a condensor issue as well.

Yes, pitting is usually condenser; get one of those on ebay. They have new Japanese ones. Ignition coils, if they are original, will almost certainly be weak from time and heat. After the abuse from the high current I would highly suspect they were damaged; they are more sensitive than the rectifier, that is for sure!

I was just asking about this the other day:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14577

Also:

These guys make them for a bit more money, but they have good reviews. Just change the year. I have a '78.
http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/part/10-404/NzhZYW1YUzQwMA==
I looked at the rectifier/regulator combo, it looks like it will fit the connectors, but when I look up the 76 year, it doesn't show any parts. Are you familiar enough to know if these years and types can be interchanged?

I sent a message out to Rick's Motorsport Electric on compatibility of the rectifier/regulator. I will let you know the result.

The result was that they wanted "...a few pictures of the rec-reg off your bike along with the wiring diagram for the bike ... We would need a full view of the part and a head on view into the connector/s..." I didn't follow up.

Last edited:
Our 360s are pretty uncommon compared to the 400s, which are fairly uncommon themselves, so they get left out of the listings sometimes.
The XS360 and '77 XS400s take the same part numbers for regulators and rectifiers. The one on Rick's is also listed for '77 so it should work 100%.

While the part numbers do change over the years I am pretty sure any SOHC XS400 compatible reg/rec should be pin-compatible with the 360. Looks like the later years went to a different setup but I imagine should still work with different connectors.

Thanks for the info - I assume that rectifier/regulator at Ricks is decent, but do you know if there is one I can find in Canada (I see you are in BC)? I prefer to buy in Canada, then I don't have to deal with exchange and customs etc.

It looks like we have the same bike - '76 XS360C.

Not many people wire their own rectifiers, but Leo knows what he is talking about. Follow his instructions and guidelines in that link and you'll be fine if you want to go that route.

If you want to wire this all up yourself instead of using an rr38 you can certainly save some money.

Back